commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Gordon Mains  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
carbostar
Forum Member

I am searching for information about my wife's grandfather who she was very fond of, I have limited information which appears to be somewhat inaccurate, I hope one or two of you can point me in the right direction ? I have his permanent pass the information is a bit sparse, it looks like : 5p coy 27th btn Dalditch ,30th Aug 1944, No Po/x106916 Mno G.Mains, and that's about it .
Other than he originates from the North East of England, my wife spent most of her childhood in the care of him and her grandmother, It would be lovely if I could find out some additional information.
[Email]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The PO number is a hostilities only number and a Portsmouth division number. Dalditch is on Woodbury common near Lympstone commando training centre Royal Marines. Where Commandos train now.

Your wife?s grandfather would have been a Royal Marine in the 27th Battalion Royal Marines, I believe they served in North East Europe/ Germany towards the end of the war.

If you google Royal Marines history the link should take you to the RM museum site where there is a history section. If I have time I?ll look and see if I can post.

27th Battalion were Infantry and would have worn the blue sea beret. Also consider the imperial war museum website and enter Royal Marine photos, there are hundreds to view. You never know what you may find.

Regards.
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/15/a5776815.shtml

Hope these links help. Plenty of info available online
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/27th-bn-royal-marines-1945.22190/
carbostar
Forum Member

Thanks Craig that very interesting, my wife has just hunted out photo of him, I will try and post on the site, she was under the impression he attended campaigns in and around Sicily, although the validity cant be verified as yet,
She has a number of items in her posetion collected while in the service, I suppose a practice frowned upon in the present day considered spoils of war .

I think I may have dropped a rick after cancelling all further postings , digtal error on my part, Im very grateful for your information thank you
[Thumb - received_1972839199423131.jpeg]
 Filename received_1972839199423131.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 10 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  320 time(s)

[Email]
carbostar
Forum Member

As a footnote I have tried keying in his name on various sites including the the national archives , with a big zero result , highlighting my detective skills are very poor.
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Has anyone applied for a copy of his service record ? How you do so can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

If the nearest next of kin applies a full photocopy will be provided, otherwise a transcript with limited detail will be provided. The MOD charge £30 for this service. They are the only ones who can provide this service so do not get taken in by other websites that may offer something that appears similar. It will not be.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
carbostar
Forum Member

Thank you Pete, Until I had some sort of hit on his name I felt it would also be a bit of a task, I have a simalar problem finding a great uncle of mine who served on HMS Ajax during the battle of the river plate, funny enough his first name was Gordon , it must be a Gordon thing?, but thank you I will give it a try, thank you once again .
[Email]
craig summerhill
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Just obtained my grandfather service docs in RM. only took a few weeks.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger