commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
2 Commando photo added to gallery  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have added a photo I found of three Commandos from No.2 to their respective gallery. I have also included the photo on this forum message. The names written on the back of the photo are Ben Fryer, Bill Aspey and John Stuart. Their is a reference to all 3 names in my fathers notebook however the surname of the last is spelt STEWART in the book. He is also shown as having been killed in action. Can anyone tell me if they are one and the same.
 Filename WW2 Commandos.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description written on the back of the photo : Ben Fryer, Bll Aspey, John Stuart
 Filesize 111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  592 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

2931169 LCpl John Alexander Stewart is listed on the Commando Roll of Honour. Formerly of the Camerons and from Clubmoor, Liverpool he was killed in Salerno on 13th September 1943. He is remembered in the Cassino Memorial, Italy. He and 2930678 LCpl Bill Aspey and 2931435 Pte Ben Fryer are all listed as No 2, it is likely that this is all three of them. I do have another 3 x J Stewart's listed but they are No's 1, 6 and 9, the latter two KIA in '44. Maybe Bob Bishop can shed some light on it.

Regards

Geoff

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 28/10/2008 22:38:48

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Geoff's response to the photograph correctly identifies the subject soldiers as L/Cpl Bill Aspey, Pte Ben Fryer and L/Cpl John Stewart, all members of 5 Troop, No. 2 Commando.

At this time we have no record of any soldier who was in No. 2 Commando called John Stuart. The three men who are in the picture all came to us from the Camerons.

Corporal John Stewart was a casualty in the battle of Dragone Hill, Salerno, September 13, 1943. He was posted 'Missing' for a while along with several others after the battle was over as no recovery was made of his remains. This soldier has no grave. His passing is commemorated on Panel 11 of the Cassino Memorial which exists to acknowledge those who have no place in a War Cemetery.

Regards to all,

Bob
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thank you Geoff and Bob for the information. Actually all 3 came from Liverpool which links in with my father who also came from there, as did my Uncle Ken MacAllister - well just just across the Mersey in the Wirral.

In memory of Corporal John Stewart, just one of the many we will honour at Spean Bridge

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 28/10/2008 23:06:27

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger