commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
C/Sgt E F Long, 42 RM Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Tim Long
Forum Member

I am trying to track down my father?s beret and wartime medals. He served in Burma from 1943 ? 45. He passed away in May 2015, aged 96. It appears he may have donated his medals & beret to an Association or museum, although this may have been some decades ago. I have no further information on this. I now have no idea where they might be.
I would appreciate any advice or suggestions as to where I could look.
Many thanks. Tim Long.
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Tim

Welcome to the Commando Veterans Archive forum and site.

You could try the Spean Bridge Hotel museum. They have quite a large number of artefacts donated by former veterans.

Our man Bill Harvey is a curator there and when he sees your message I am sure he will help if he can.

Good luck

John Mewett

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Tim Long
Forum Member

John,

Many thanks, I will certainly follow that up.
One other thought - does the Association have regional contacts that I could check with - just in case the items have remained in my local area?
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Tim

Will try and research Spean Bridge Commando Museum but he may have given them to the Royal Marines Museum
Royal Marines Museum, Eastney Esplanade,
Southsea, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO4 9PX
T 023 9281 9385
E marines. [email protected]

Best wishes.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Tim Long
Forum Member

Bill,

OK, thanks.
I have tried the Royal Marines museum at Eastney but no joy.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Tim

I have a note that your Father was a member of the original Commando Association which stood down in 2005, hence there are no more branches etc. The only details I have are as follows : EX/ 960 C/Sgt. E.F. Long 42 RM Cdo. last known address - Cambridge.

When the Commando Association stood down they did donate some items and documents to the Army Museum, although I am uncertain whether the Association would have held individual's green berets and medals.

If you wish to provide a good photo of your Father, and his first and middle names, I can add it to our website, and if you provide the date in May that he passed away I will include that also.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Tim Long
Forum Member

Pete,

OK, many thanks. The details you have are correct.

My father's full name was Edward Frederick Long, he passed away on 6 May 2015.
I attach a photo which I hope is clear enough.
[Thumb - P1000380_00001.jpg]
 Filename P1000380_00001.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description C/Sgt E F Long, 42 RM Commando
 Filesize 423 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  413 time(s)

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger