commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
about 23th spanish commando of 8th Army 1940-1942  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
G POPOFF
Forum Member

Hi
My name is Georges living in France.
A friend of my parents recently died. A former Spanish republican soldier engaged in the French foreign legion in 1939, made the Norwegian campaign in June 1940.
Repatriated to Trentham Park in July 1940, he refused to continue fighting in the French army and was incorporated with his Spanish legionary comrades in the 23rd Spanish commando of the 8th British Army.
In November 1942 he returned to the French army and fought in the troops of the Foreign Legion in Tunisia.
I am looking for information on this Spanish commando.
This friend did not want to tell me more.
Could someone tell me where I can find information about this Spanish commando?
With thanks
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Georges,
Thank you for contacting the Commando Veterans Association. As we are an an association, we do not have access to official government files and archives so I can't give you a definitive answer.
However, I do know that a number of Spanish Republicans fought on the side of the Allies during the WWII and a number of Special Forces had Spaniards in their numbers.
I have not however, ever heard of the 23rd Spanish Commando!

All these British Special Forces units had Spaniards in the ranks:
50 Middle East Commando; 1941
D Battalion of Layforce; Crete 1942
1 Special Service Regiment
2nd Special Air Service (SAS)
Long Range Desert Group
Between 62 - 65 Spanish Republican members of this 50 ME Commando were amalgamated into D Battalion of Layforce on Crete. Most of D Battalion were captured when the Germans landed but some escaped or went on the run. Of those who escaped some went to 1 Special Service Regiment and from there onto 2nd SAS.

There are three books which may give more detailed information -

"Los Espanoles de Churchill" by Daniel Arasa, which covers most units in the British Army where Spaniards served.
"Tobruk Commando" by G Landsborough
"The Middle East Commandos" by Charles Messenger

That's all the information I have at the moment but I will look to see if I can dig out more (I have a feeling that I have a list of names for the 63 Spaniards in D Battalion somewhere...)

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/10/2017 15:10:21

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
KH
Forum Member

Hi Nick, I read your reply to George's with interest. I've just joined the forum for the purpose of finding out about D Battalion Layforce on Crete in 1941.

I'd be really grateful for that list of the 63 Spanish Republican men.

Also, I'm keen to better understand their movements and fate in Crete in 41. I assume that they made up Young's E Company that engaged German Krad (motorbike) troops near Beritiana (which seems to have disappeared from modern maps) but then "deserted" (according to some accounts) or withdrew and joined A Company of 28 Battalion as it passed through this defensive position on the route toward Stilos (as Davin seems to suggest, although he's not very clear here).

I'm trying to figure out where the 63 ended up: were they captured just south of their first position (close to Megala Chorafia) or did they make it to Babali Hani (Davin suggests not: Young was "without E Company there).

Any help with sources or other insights very gratefully received!

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi KH,

Again not my subject really but I had a quick look and came up with this information...

Nick
 Filename Spanish Commandos.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 64 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  702 time(s)

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

I have a copy of 'Greece & Crete 1941' by Christopher Buckley. No mention of any Spanish Commandos but a very good account of the battle.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger