commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Documentary made in 1974 of the St Naziare Raid.  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi
As you are aware there have been a number of documentaries of the St Nazaire raid made over the years, the most recent being the Jeremy Clarkson production, which I thought was rather good. However there was a doc made in 1974 that was written and narrated by Micky Burn who was one of the key figures of this raid.
What sets this doc a cut above the rest is the fact that all the contributors interviewed are the actual men who took part ie Commando, Naval and German. There are no expert/historical talking heads stating their opinions or particular perspectives, just straight talking by the men describing the actions that they took part in, and in most cases at the actual location that the particular action took place. Not only is this documentary historically important, it is also an important human document as at the time this doc was made the participants were still relatively young, however, sadly many of the men bearing witness are now no longer with us.
I last saw this doc in 1990 when it was aired during the easter bank holiday, after viewing the Clarkson doc which was recently given a repeat airing, I decided to try and track down this paricular 1974 production. After some hours on the internet I found out the name and details ie "The Raid On St Nazaire - 1974: a BBC/ORTF production written and narrated by (Captain) Micky Burn, and produced by Tony Broughton". Armed with this info I then tried all the DVD suppliers that I could find, all to no avail, I then came across the contact details for the "BBC/DVD release Department" and left a message on their answering machine where I was promised that some one would get back to me. True to their word I was contacted by a representative of the BBC who stated that this particular documentary has never been released as a DVD.
Perhaps if some other interested parties from this site where to request that this doc be released as a DVD, or indeed an official request was made by the CVA, then the BBC might decide to actually release some copies of this 1974 production. It could also possibly be an item to be included in the CVA's official merchandise list, the Tel no for the BBC/DVD release dept is 0207 612 3120 should any one wish to try and request that this doc be released as a DVD.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

a prog about the St Nazaire raid is on at 7-30 tonight (friday) Channel5 I think

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Stephen
I have actually been watching this particular series on raids of WWII over the past few weeks which I think is narrated by a retired Army officer, but had forgotten that it was on tonight, so thanks for the reminder.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger