commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
George Wellman 41 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
George Wellman
Forum Member

Hi I am the son of George Wellman who was in the 41 commando's I was wondering if there was any of the 41 still alive as he would have been 88 I have some photo of the 41 as well i would like to share. Even if anyone has any information about them. I know a lot of the where killed in Korea.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/10/2017 00:41:51

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi and welcome to our forum. Can you tell me during what period did your father serve in 41 and do you know his service number ? You can attach photos to your messages on here, 3 on each reply, and as long as each one is not over 999kb?s (1mb) in size they should load easily. If you have large numbers of photos feel free to email me to discuss best options. As to surviving members I have no doubt there will be a good few but probably not many that follow websites. You could try emailing the Royal Marines Association as well.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
George Wellman
Forum Member

Hi and thanks for getting back to me so soon. I have sent two photos of his service record. It looks like he was in marines from 49. I remember mum saying he joined up at 16 but transferred to the marines later. Maybe you can work it out from the service sheet. The other photo looks like them in training.
[Thumb - DSC08636.jpg]
 Filename DSC08636.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description service record
 Filesize 595 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  812 time(s)

[Thumb - DSC08637.jpg]
 Filename DSC08637.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 341 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  781 time(s)

[Email]
George Wellman
Forum Member

A few more photos from the 41 commando
[Thumb - 6. George ( in centre ).jpg]
 Filename 6. George ( in centre ).jpg [Disk] Download
 Description relaxing
 Filesize 112 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  780 time(s)

[Thumb - 2.jpg]
 Filename 2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description training 2
 Filesize 161 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  759 time(s)

[Thumb - 5. George ( centre ).jpg]
 Filename 5. George ( centre ).jpg [Disk] Download
 Description more relaxing
 Filesize 98 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  767 time(s)

[Email]
George Wellman
Forum Member

A few more photos from the 41 commando
[Thumb - img039.jpg]
 Filename img039.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Dad far right not a clue where this is.
 Filesize 54 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  726 time(s)

[Thumb - 1.jpg]
 Filename 1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Dad was a climbing instructor
 Filesize 179 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  770 time(s)

[Thumb - 4.jpg]
 Filename 4.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description helping at a children party
 Filesize 105 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  737 time(s)

[Email]
George Wellman
Forum Member

A few more photos from the 41 commando. My Dad never spoke much about his service time. Mum said he came out with shell shock and a lot of his comrades died. He died in 86 aged just 56.
 Filename g.h.w.bmp [Disk] Download
 Description Dad
 Filesize 271 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  773 time(s)

[Thumb - 1000.psd dad parachute.jpg]
 Filename 1000.psd dad parachute.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description restored by myself.
 Filesize 269 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  733 time(s)

[Thumb - 1000.jpg]
 Filename 1000.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Parachuting portrait
 Filesize 132 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  728 time(s)

[Email]
George Wellman
Forum Member

I hope photo's are ok like this. Like I said Dad never spoke about his service days. I hope the photos are correct I have not a clue about theses things but like to know more about his life.
[Thumb - g.h.w.jpg]
 Filename g.h.w.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 96 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  772 time(s)

[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

These are wonderful photographs - thank you for posting them.

You've done a great job with that restored one.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
George Wellman
Forum Member

I just wish I had asked him About the photos when he was alive but did not expect him to die at just 56.
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks for the photos George. These will be added to the gallery in due course. Additionally will get back to you about the service record.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
George Wellman
Forum Member

Thank you that would be great
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi George

I have now created an album with a selection of your photos and it is in the RM Commandos album Post WW2. They can be viewed here:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/laterday/RM+Commandos/Wellman/

I have included where you indicated your father's position in any photo but if he is any of the others, you can simply register on the gallery and indicate that by adding a comment against the particular image.

You will note I have included a short resume of his Commando service that I have taken from his record. The Service Record fits in nicely with the timeline of the raising of 41 Independent Commando RM for Korea. You will note that after his initial training and then CSRM (Commando School Royal Marines) someone has pencilled in 45 Commando alongside the dates 11th July 1950 - 9th August 1950. In August 1950 41 Independent Commando was raised and some of those who joined had been originally destined to be part of a reinforcement draft for 45 Commando who were abroad at the time. There is a very good account of 41 Independent Commando in a 107 page booklet titled 'Train Wreckers and Ghost Killers' - Allied Marines in the Korean War. It is available in several outlets but here is one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Train-Wreckers-Ghost-Killers-Commemorative/dp/1499559232

[Email]
George Wellman
Forum Member

He would have loved this site he was very proud of his days in the marines. Thanks for putting this altogether. I just wish it was possible to contact someone who was in the marines at the same time as he was. George the father is how I know him but what was he like as a Marine by the people who new him would have been interesting. He was tough and life as his son was not always easy but our life was so different to his.
[Email]
George Wellman
Forum Member

This photo was one I thought I had posted already.
[Thumb - 3.jpg]
 Filename 3.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 164 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  781 time(s)

[Email]
George Wellman
Forum Member

I made this one brighter and looking at it now my Dad George Wellman is 6th from the left.
[Thumb - 3.jpg]
 Filename 3.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 659 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  728 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/10/2017 18:27:01

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger