commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
48th commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
DeeCraig
Forum Member

Hi can anyone help me? I'm looking for information on my great uncle JAMES (Jim) MAWHINNEY whO I'm told was part of the 48th RMC in ww2
Thanks
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Dee and welcome to our Forum

We have a note of your great uncle on this website in our online Archive. In our Obituaries he is listed by name and unit but we do not have his date of death:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/CommandoObituariesM-R

He is also named on a list in our gallery here:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/48+RM+Cdo/48RM+Commando+Veterans+Aug+1985.jpg.html

Finally in Commando Association newsletter 105 of September 1997 there is an acknowledgement of a donation after your great uncle's death. This states :

a donation of £10.00 given by Mrs. M.A. Mawhinney in memory of her late husband James (48 RM Cdo)

and he is named in there Obituaries within the same Newsletter:

Mne. James W. Mawhinney (48 RM Cdo) of Belfast, N.I.

Do you, or any member of your family, have a photo of your great uncle that you would like added to our gallery ? Additionally do you know his middle name and date of death so as we can update our records ?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
DeeCraig
Forum Member

Hi Pete thank you so much for this, unfortunately I am looking for a photo myself and possibly a service number or info on what Medals if any he may have be awarded, I will certainly share with you any info I gain and would greatly appreciate the same back.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/10/2017 00:59:55

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Dee

Most of what we get goes straight onto the website so just do a search on his surname from time to time and you will see if there is anything new. If you want to know what his unit were involved with a good book to read is D Day Commando (From Normandy to the Maas with 48 Royal Marine Commando) author Ken Ford.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi again Dee

I have a note of his service number being PLY/X 105843. This is from a list I was sent, not from an official document, so I cannot verify it as being 100% correct although I have not found any errors on it to date.

Hope this is of some help.

[Email]
DeeCraig
Forum Member

Pete

Just seen this message, i had actually emailed you but i just seen this now. Thank you so much for this information. Can you recommend the best website to search with the service number, i have tried one that came up on Google (War Records) but with no luck.

I really appreciate this, any more info please fire it my way. I will get the book to read up on also.

Dee
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Dee

Do not use website searches for Service Records. The only place to get the detail you want is the Government. More detail on Service Records and Medals can be found here...about half way down.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/ResearchAdvice

If the nearest next of kin applies a full copy will be provided, otherwise it will be a transcript with limited detail. There will be a £30 fee charged by the Ministry of Defence but at least you know you will get information in return which you are not guaranteed with other websites that charge.

[Email]
DeeCraig
Forum Member

Thank you so much Pete , I will try this and keep you informed of how I get on. very much appreciated

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger