commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Accomodation of Commandos In Oslo, June 7th 1945  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Stein J Ryan
Forum Member

I have a few pictures of my grandparents with two unknown British Commandos taken around June 7th 1945 at the time of the victory parade in Oslo. I have reason to believe that one of them is George Webb of No 3 Commando. My grandparents told me that they housed two commandos during the celebration.

My question is: How would that have come about? For safety reasons, British servicemen would not be assigned just any random private housing, I guess.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi and welcome to our website.

Sadly I personally cannot answer your question other than to say I noted your words "they housed two commandos during the celebration." So did they stay just for one night of celebration after the parade, or for a period of time ? We would obviously welcome seeing the photos you mention so feel free to scan and add them as attachments to this message thread and include any additional detail you may know. We have as you may know photos in our gallery of the George Webb you mentioned and they can be viewed here http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/3/webb/

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hello Stein and thank you for your email with the photos. I am posting two of them here initially as I would like people to view the cap badges that are worn in order to identify the Regiment. I note on the photo it is annotated George Webb but there is no mention of No 3 Commando, and I have to say that I do not think it is the George Webb whose images I posted above. In fact No 3 Commando as part of the 1st Commando Bde. I believe were in Kiel or Hamburg readying themselves for their return to the UK on the 8/9th June.

Where was the information about 3 Commando from ?
[Thumb - Oslo image 5.jpg]
 Filename Oslo image 5.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Photo credit: Stein J Ryan
 Filesize 457 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  350 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/09/2017 10:15:28

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Couple more images and cropped facial images
[Thumb - Oslo image 4.jpg]
 Filename Oslo image 4.jpg [Disk] Download
 Filesize 304 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  326 time(s)

[Thumb - Oslo image 2.jpg]
 Filename Oslo image 2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Filesize 59 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  342 time(s)

[Thumb - Oslo image 1.jpg]
 Filename Oslo image 1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Filesize 51 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  354 time(s)

[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

Pete & Stein,
Both men have a South Staffordshire Regiment cap badge. I believe that they were attached to 2nd Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment of the 1st Airborne Division. The 1st Airborne Divison were deployed to Norway during Operation Doomsday, they were to oversee the surrender of German forces.

https://paradata.org.uk/events/norway-operation-doomsday

[Thumb - South Staffs.png]
 Filename South Staffs.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 221 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  348 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 16/09/2017 17:48:51

Stein J Ryan
Forum Member

Thank you very much for identifying the cap badge. A very welcome fact in my sea of hypotheses.

From what I read about operation Doomsday, this means that the pictures may have been taken a few weeks earlier (May'45) than I originally anticipated (June'45).

Perhaps as early as May 13th, when Crown Prince Olav arrived back in Oslo after five years in exile.

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger