commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Jacksonville  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Training Establishments
JMB
Forum Member

Just had a reply sent to me about a hut near the gorge in Glencoe known as the Squirrel's Drey. I knew it was used by climbers but I was told that it appears to have been used / built by people (Home Guard?) manning the nearby gun positions.

The message sent included this which I thought might be of interest here.

Glasgow climbers still have a hut in the Coe, Jacksonville, up towards The Kingshouse. I believe it was based on a shelter abandoned by the Commandos training there during the war.

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

JMB wrote:Just had a reply sent to me about a hut near the gorge in Glencoe known as the Squirrel's Drey. I knew it was used by climbers but I was told that it appears to have been used / built by people (Home Guard?) manning the nearby gun positions.

The message sent included this which I thought might be of interest here.

Glasgow climbers still have a hut in the Coe, Jacksonville, up towards The Kingshouse. I believe it was based on a shelter abandoned by the Commandos training there during the war.

As far as I'm aware, 'The Drey', on the approach to A'Chaileach in Glencoe, was built by the Edinburgh Squirrels Climbing Club, and the 'Jacksonville' is the old Creagh Dhu Mountaineering Club hut at the foot of Buachaille Etive Mhor.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
JMB
Forum Member

Will see if any other comments or memories.

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Training Establishments
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger