commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No.3 in Sicily  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Can someone tell me how No.3 got back from Sicily at the end of '43/start of '44 please?

I thought my dad must have come home with 41 RM on the Otranto ... did No.3 come back on that ship, also?

After reading about No.2 overseas (dad volunteered with them for Salerno) I now know that dad had jaundice and this is why he's re-classified as 1a in his service record.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The SRS came back on that ship I believe so it's possible that 3 Commando was with them as well, civilians were also on board as well so I am led to believe.
3 Commando under temporary command of Capt. A.G. Komrower who would be awarded a DSO for his actions served with the SRS and 40 RM Commando at Termoli in Italy, Operation Devon in October 1943. 3 Commando formed the beach head.
After Termoli 3 Commando went to Bari, they suffered 5 men killed and 29 wounded during the operation. The SRS also went to Bari and crossed to North Africa in an American LST and from their to Phillipeville in Algeria and finally home.
It may be that this was the route also taken by 3 Commando.
Probably all wrong of course.
Alan.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/08/2017 09:47:01

Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

You - get things wrong? As if.

Thank you. :-)

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thank you, Graham. :D

This is one heck of a place.

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger