commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
The Waist-High Cornfield - The story of the 46 RM Commando and the battle for Rots in Normandy  XML
Forum Index » Commando Library
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Keith Taylor, son of Eric Taylor of 46RM Commando advises us of the book he has just written and had published about 46RM Commando.

I have just received from the printers, the book about my father's 46 Royal Marine Commando Unit which I have researched, designed and produced myself. The project has taken me 5 years to finalize and the idea was inspired by the hand-written autobiography by my father about his childhood and military career.

The book consists of 352 pages with detailed personal accounts, photos, and copies of original documents. It describes through those eye witness accounts how young men signed up to join the Royal Marines; their rigid training at Achnacarry to earn their coveted green berets; and the special Commando training and preparation for D-Day.

The book culminates in a detailed account of how 46 RMC liberated the French village of Rots in a horrific encounter with the elite 12 Waffen SS Hitlerjugend on the 11th June 1944.

At the same time as 46 RMC was being formed and preparing for D-Day I have described in parallel what life was like in the village of Rots during the German occupation and I have recorded how the villagers themselves fared during the battle.

Included are eye witness accounts from not only the 46 RMC, but also from those who served in the 12th SS and from a veteran detailing their training (the Division was grounded almost at the same time as the 46RMC!), as well as a description of what happened to them during the battle. It's a story from three sides.

Whilst my father was alive and even now the People of Rots have not forgotten the price the 46 RMC paid for their liberation and that is why it was so important to include their story too.

If any profit is made ,which is unlikely, then it will be donated 50/50 to the Commando Veterans Association and the school in Rots whose children have been taught never to forget the price 46 Royal Marine Commando paid to liberate their village.

The price of the book is £50 + package/postage. The cost of the book only covers my printing costs. All other costs have been borne by me.

To order a copy please send me an email with your name and address and I will inform you of payment and dispatch.

[email protected]

[Thumb - The Waist-High Cornfield by Keith Taylor.jpg]
 Filename The Waist-High Cornfield by Keith Taylor.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description The story of the 46 Royal Marine Commando and the battle for Rots in Normandy.
 Filesize 550 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1157 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have just received a copy of Keith's book and this is indeed a substantial publication. Over 350 pages of information including many personal accounts and photos which make for a great production and I am looking forward to reading it.

I know how much time and energy Keith has personally put into his book, and his decision to donate any profits to be shared between the Association and the local school in Rots is a most generous one.

So contact Keith on the email address [email protected] and buy a copy. Not only will you get a great book but, if enough people do, then you will be helping the Association and the School as well.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Wow what a fantastic book this is! 46RM Commando taking on the elite 12Th SS HJ in ferocious hand to hand fighting. I can?t put it down . One of the best books I?ve read to do with the Commandos

SE Donnison
[MSN]

Forum Index » Commando Library
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger