commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Group Photo of Royal Marines in 1940 - Is it Chatham Barracks?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
ianjardine
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi everyone

Starting the research again into my father, Royal Marine John Jardine CH/X 100196. He was enlisted May 1940, was captured on Crete 1st June 1941 and served 4 years as POW (POW 6829).

I have discovered this photograph of a group which includes my father which I thought I would share. Other family members may find their dads etc on it. Anyway, I believe it may be an end-of-training course photograph from Chatham Barracks but, I would like this confirmed.

Is there a collection of these photographs somewhere? Does a course number exist?

Love to hear from anyone that can help.

Thank you

Ian

ps - Moderators....I apologise if this is in wrong forum. To get a wider audience I will gratefully accept any advice you have.
[Thumb - Dad Group Photo1940.jpg]
 Filename Dad Group Photo1940.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Royal Marines Group Photo 1940
 Filesize 938 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  424 time(s)

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi Ian,

courtesy of Graham Cooper, photos attached of the cover of the Admiralty File ADM 201/111 RM Prisoners of War in Germany (held at National Archives), and an extract from 'the Nominal List of Chatham Div, RMs, Who Are PoWs in Germany'

Nick
[Thumb - Jardine.JPG]
 Filename Jardine.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 16 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  409 time(s)

[Thumb - RM PoWs.JPG]
 Filename RM PoWs.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 18 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  346 time(s)

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
ianjardine
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Nick

Good morning Sir

Thank you so much for this information, it was so good of you and Graham to take the trouble to source and send me this file. Amongst my dads keepsakes we found a small notebook containing names and addresses of colleagues and POWs he was obviously friends with back in the day. Two of them are on the list you sent me.

Would be great to trace the families to see if they can fill in the huge gaps in my knowledge. Dad never discussed this period of his life.

I'll send a pm to Graham to thank him.

Ian

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger