commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Battle of Lake Commachio 1945 RM 43 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
cdimarco
Forum Member

I am looking for information on my Grandmothers husband, Paul Dimarco. He was killed in action on 11 April 1945 during the battle of Lake Commachio. His service number was PO/X 107388. I believe this meant that he was part of the Portsmouth division. He was originally from Glasgow where he met and married my grandmother Ellen Coyle. I found his war grave details and also came across this story told my Ron Perry to the BBC. It is very interesting.

The Power Plant Attack by threecountiesaction
You are browsing in:
Archive List > World > Italy
Contributed by
threecountiesaction
People in story:
Ron Perry,Victor Frederick Hobbs,Paul di Marco
Location of story:
Lake Comacchio,Italy
Background to story:
Royal Navy
Article ID:
A4650022
Contributed on:
01 August 2005
This story was submitted to the People's War site by Edward Fawcett for Three Counties Action on behalf of Ron Perry and has been added to the site with his permission.The author fully understands the site's term and conditions.

In the beginning of 1945, at the end of the Italian campaign, we made our last breakthrough for the 8th Army.I was in Y troop of 40 Commando,Royal Marines,the leading troop in this action.We met some resistence by a canal near to what is now Lake Como.We were detailed to take two bridges and a power plant,which was our particular objective.This was along a spit of land alongside Lake Como.We were trapped in a corner and it was here we lost so many and so many were wounded,including a great pal of mine Vic Hobbs.It was impossible for us to get out of this position because we had a six foot bank forming the dyke to our right,water on our left and behind us.We were being shelled by German 77 guns and six barrel morters until Paul di Marco our Colour Sergeant said to our CO he would attempt to go over the top.If this was possible we could then follow.Unfortunately,in the power house was a German sniper who shot and killed instantly our sergeant and he fell right beside me.There we remained until two Spitfires flew over and one of them dropped his bomb at the gates of the power house.At this time the CO said, he would give the order when the second Spitfire dropped his bomb and we would then make our dash over the top,not knowing whether the pilot realised the position we were in, which we will never know.Everyone got over except the wounded,they were left to be attended to.I thought Vic was going to be taken to the rear.From there we rejoined our unit.It wasn't until our return to Italy in September 2004,on a Veteran's Return,that I found the grave of Victor Hobbs.

I am trying to track anyone who may have know Paul. I have looked through all the photos on here wondering if he is there in any of them. I would love to put a face to his name.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Catherine and welcome to the Commando Veterans Archive

Thank you for posting the information which I will add to the entries we already have for both men. Here are the links to each of those entries:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/VictorHobbs40RMCommando

http://www.commandoveterans.org/PaulDiMarco40RMCommando

I note that you have posted a comment against a photo of 43RM Commando in our gallery but this was not their unit. They both served in 40RM Commando. This is confirmed by the entries on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database. I have copied the link to your Grandmothers husband below as there is a certificate that can be printed off should you wish to do so: http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1716531/DIMARCO,%20PAUL

I hope someone else can provide more for you.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger