commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No. 6 Commando Men in D-Day Photo at La Chaumiere  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Cee
Forum Member

Hi All,

We are seeking information on the men who appear in the well known D-Day photo taken by Captain Evans (5 AFPU) in front of the La Chaumiere hotel/restaurant in Benouville. Tentatively these are the names of the men facing the camera left to right:

Pte. Robert "Bob" Moran, Pte.Thomas "Jock" Hardie, possibly P. Moran, L/Cpl. Victor Ernest Renshaw and Pte. Victor Albert "Spud" Watson.

Of the three Commandos both Robert Moran and Vic Renshaw have been identified by family members here on the CVA. The other man in the background (3rd left) we thought looked very much like P. Moran who is listed on the No. 6 Commando site. In particular we are seeking another photo of Sgt. Robert Moran to confirm his identity and any further info on P. Moran.

See this post on WW2Talk where we discuss the photo.

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/british-commandos-and-para-photo-d-day-but-where-taken.70494/

Thanks to Michael Pine-Coffin for his identification of the two 7 Para men, Hardie and Watson, and to Guy Hudson for his compares and details provided.

Regards ...

Edit: Changed ranks to accord with Pete Rogers findings below.
[Thumb - RENSHAW.png]
 Filename RENSHAW.png [Disk] Download
 Description LCpl. Victor Ernest Renshaw, No. 6 Commando
 Filesize 121 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  324 time(s)

[Thumb - MORAN-2.png]
 Filename MORAN-2.png [Disk] Download
 Description Pte. P. Moran. No. 6 Commando
 Filesize 76 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  368 time(s)

[Thumb - B 5058.jpg]
 Filename B 5058.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Commandos and Paras in Benouville on D-Day
 Filesize 99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  363 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/09/2017 00:36:06

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Just a little bit of information to add that I found in Commando Association Newsletter 28 of March 1959 which I quote here:

The following members at present stationed in Nairobi send their sincere greetings to all old comrades: Cpl. (now SQMS) C. F. Lofthouse (9 Cdo); Pte. (now S/Sgt.) R. Moran (6 Cdo); Sgt. W. Pearson (7 Cdo); L/Sgt. C. H. Wallis (5 Cdo); and Cpl. G. Stanley (1 Cdo), who is now Sgt. at Arms for the Legislative Council.

I know there was some discussion on the site as our Nom Roll entry (now amended) for Robert Moran showed his rank as Sgt. However that should have shown him in 6 Commando as a Private and then later S/Sgt.

Commando Association Newsletter 119 of September 2004 confirms rank in the Commandos as Private in their Obituary notices for 6 Commando:

No.6 Commando. Sgt. Michael William Bernard Cater of Hale, Cheshire; Dvr. Jack (Nobby) Clarke of Brighton, Sussex; Pte. George Dunbar of Aberdeen, Pte. Henry (Harry) Jacks of Hackney, London; Pte. George Jowett of Oldham, Lancs.; Pte. Robert Moran of Salisbury, Wiltshire; Spr. Ronald Pealing of Worsley, Greater Manchester : Pte. Geoffrey Scotson of Hove, Sussex.

Finally Vic Renshaw has a Lance Corporal stripe on so not a Private. He was listed in the obituaries of Commando Association newsletter 88 of March 1989 with final rank attained as Corporal.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/09/2017 22:12:55

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Cee
Forum Member

Thanks Pete,

I made amends to the ranks above according to your findings. I'll leave the compare photos of Vic Renshaw unchanged and hope people will re-name it with proper rank.

Regards ...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/09/2017 23:44:52

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger