commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
War Diaries on this Site - Abbreviations  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Thomasbz1357
Forum Member

I have discovered that there are some war diaries on this site. They are very useful, so thanks to those who have posted them. Unsurprisingly, they are full of military abbreviations and jargon. Google is helping me with a lot of these but some I have not been able to find. Is there a glossary of these abbreviations somewhere ? Finally does own cas mean casualties on one's own side ? I would be grateful for any help.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

'Own Cas' in a War Diary entry would normally refer to the units own casualties in a particular engagement. 'Cas' is commonly used as an abbreviation for Casualty.

The only list of abbreviations I have seen is that which accompanies Service Records which have been applied for.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Thomasbz1357
Forum Member

Many thanks Pete. I have seen some lists online that refer to British or various Commonwealth armies but they are not identical. I am having more joy typing individual abbreviations into Google but own cas, although it seemed obvious was one that was not appearing, so thank you for clearing that up
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Casualty Assessment System

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
Thomasbz1357
Forum Member

Thanks Kevin

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger