commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
2 Commando photo taken 12/8/1941 in dumfries  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The picture is of 5 troop. The CO and his men. A fine picture I think.

Correction 6.8.2020
The House is Nunfield House and not as shown Nuffield.
Location 65 Edinburgh Road, Dumfries, DG1 1JX.
View in Gallery [HERE....].
[Thumb - 2 cmdo 5 trp 12081941 Nuffield House Dumfries.jpg]
 Filename 2 cmdo 5 trp 12081941 Nuffield House Dumfries.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 2 Commando 5 troop 12th August 1941 in Dumfries
 Filesize 2701 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  577 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 06/08/2020 21:13:46

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

when its downloaded its a fine good quality photo

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

thats not Capt Roy DSO of St Nazaire fame.2nd row from the front ,5th from the left is it ?

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Yes - Capt. Roy in the light shirt, holding stick, in the centre.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete wrote:have been advised the photo appears blurred even on download..which it is not on the actual picture....so trying to send it again. If it is blurred can someone just let me know and i will try to remedy it again. Thanks.

Pete,
It appears blurred because the photo you have posted was, at some stage, published in a book, magazine or newspaper and has been converted to HALFTONE

Mechanical printing processes could only print ink or leave blank areas on the page, they could not print different shades of a colour or tone.
A newspaper press, for example, could only print black or nothing. However photographs are continuous tone, that is they contain various tones of grey between the extremes of black and white.

In order to overcome this printing limitation the halftone process was invented. The traditional halftone process converts different tones into dots of varying size. The eye has limited resolving power and, at a distance, is tricked into seeing these dots as continuous tone.

If you look closely at the downloaded version of your picture you will see that the image is made up with hundreds of dots (very much like round pixels).

During the printing process, when the halftone screening is applied to images with patterns or previously screened photographs there is the possibility of creating moiré patterns due to the interference of one screen on another.

I think that, in the case of the thumbnail of your photo, the pixels are interfering with the halftones causing the rippled, spotty effect...

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks guys for your replies and Nic thanks for the info. The photo paper the picture is printed on is much thinner than any of the other pics I have which goes along with your explanation. I am glad it can be clearly seen when downloaded. I particularly like the picture , not only as I have family in it, but because the striking figure of the officer in the middle of his men , dressed as he is, seems to add a great deal to the overall effect

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
petitjean56
Forum Member

Hello Pete

Your father is in this photo, from left to right 4th row, position 7, your father, position 6 : Pte Peter Honey.

Best regards

Bernard Petitjean

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger