commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Col Alastair Thorburn  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
John Martin
Forum Member

Sadly, the death on 9th July 2017 of Col Alastair Thorburn, late of the King's Own Scottish Borderers and 4 Commando, has been announced in The Times. Col Thorburn was aged 96. His funeral is to take place at St Andrew's Parish Church, Farnham, Surrey at 11.30 am on 4th August 2017. Captain Thorburn, as he then was, commanded A Troop 4 Cdo during the Normandy campaign and 1 Troop 4 Cdo during the Walcheren campaign and afterwards. Major James Dunning, in his book "The Fighting Fourth", recounts that he gained the endearing nickname of "Bambi" from his men when mountain training in the Cairngorms. My late uncle served under him in 1 Troop, and described him as a very popular officer. I received a very gracious reply from Col Thorburn when I wrote to him many years ago telling him of my uncle's death.
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

Very sad news indeed. He was my father's troop captain and a well respected officer and gentleman.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

So sad to read this. My dad was in different Troops within No.4 but I've read about 'Bambi'.

RIP Sir, and thank you.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Very sad news. Our condolences to all his family and friends.

There are numerous photos of the then Captain Alastair Murray Thorburn in our gallery one of which I have cropped and placed here. Many will not know that post war Captain Thorburn was Mentioned in Despatches for "gallant and distinguished services" in Korea whilst serving with the King's Own Scottish Borderers.

Rest in peace Alastair.
[Thumb - Alastair Thorburn.jpg]
 Filename Alastair Thorburn.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 136 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  515 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
John Martin
Forum Member

Col Thorburn later went on to command 1 KOSB in Aden between 1962 and 1964.
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thank you for your service Col Thorburn with No 4 Commando. We remember the family and friends.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Croesy01
Forum Member

Thank you for posting this info, which is particularly poignant for me - I am Alastair McDougall, named after my father's friend and colleague, who was among those he sketched (pic).
[Thumb - Img_3072.jpg]
 Filename Img_3072.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Alastair Thorburn
 Filesize 76 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  470 time(s)

Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Very sad news indeed RIP

SE Donnison
[MSN]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger