commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No5. Commando - Anthony William Palmer  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
palmer1982
Forum Member

Interested in any information on my Grandfather - Anthony William Palmer. I've tried looking on Ancestry but failed to find anything meaningful.

What I know:
- Born 1923
- Left commandos (unsure if he saw action) due to pneumonia, but we know he signed up again once recovered, not to to commandos though.
- Survived the war
- Believe he was Lance Cpl

My other grandfather (Dennis H J Smith) was a pilot and saw action, he was shot down in the pacific (possibly flying a Dakota over Japan). Appreciate this isn't the right forum but any pointers for how to find out more on him?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 23/07/2017 21:04:05

GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hello and Welcome,

Can confirm that your grandfather was in the commando.

In March 2002 the following obituary appeared,under 5 Commando,the following - Lcpl A.W.(Bill)Palmer of Bulawayo,Zimbabwe.

It isn't a lot,but it does confirm what you knew/know.

Hopefully others can fill some gaps

All the best,

Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

palmer1982 wrote:Interested in any information on my Grandfather - Anthony William Palmer. I've tried looking on Ancestry but failed to find anything meaningful.

What I know:
- Born 1923
- Left commandos (unsure if he saw action) due to pneumonia, but we know he signed up again once recovered, not to to commandos though.
- Survived the war
- Believe he was Lance Cpl

My other grandfather (Dennis H J Smith) was a pilot and saw action, he was shot down in the pacific (possibly flying a Dakota over Japan). Appreciate this isn't the right forum but any pointers for how to find out more on him?

Hi,

It is a great shame that you wasted your money on Ancestry (or any of the other commercial online websites) which falsely claim that they hold all WWII service records...
As you found out they don't!
The only custodian of WWII Records is the MoD - until they are released to the public..
The good news is that you can apply to the MoD for the service records of both your grandfathers. here are the links to the appropriate forms:

Army -
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545054/request_service_details_NOK_pt1_v6.pdf
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545060/request_for_service_details_army_application_part2_1_.pdf

RAF -
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545054/request_service_details_NOK_pt1_v6.pdf
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545062/request_for_service_details_raf_application_part2_1_.pdf

Fill out the forms as fully as is possible and send them with the fee (£30) to the respective Records Office (address on the forms). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have...

Your grandfather's name has been added to the No.5 Cdo Nominal Roll - if you have any additional information (ie Regiment, Service Number) I can add that to his record.
We'd also very much like to add a photo of your grandfather to the No.5 Cdo Album in the CVA Gallery if you have one that you'd be prepared to share with us.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger