commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
ROBERT JACKSON OF SCARBOROUGH - WW2 ARMY COMMANDO?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
shelldrake
Forum Member

Hello,

Brand new on this Forum!!

My Grandfather, Robert JACKSON, born in Scarborough (June 1919-21 not sure which year) enlisted into the Royal Horse Guards (Blues & Royals) during WW2. After a short time he volunteered/transferred/ended up as an Army Commando. He operated in France (prior to the D Day landings), was wounded in action (bayoneted by a German soldier) and spent time in hospital in Germany. After the War he returned to the UK, was Discharged from the military and lived in a village near Scarborough, where he worked with horses. He died 20 years ago and never spoke (to me) about the War, even though I was a serving soldier and had asked him.

I am new to Family History research and would like to know details of his War Service.

Can anyone help me?
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi shelldrake,

Welcome to the CVA Website & Forum.

I'm holidaying down in Welsh West Wales at the moment - far from the madding crowd and with only sporadic access to the internet... Bliss!
This also means I've limited access to my files but will endeavour to search them if I can. Otherwise, I will answer you when i return on Thursday.

The only custodian of WWII service records is the MoD - until the records are released to the public.
The good news is that you can apply to the MoD for your grandfather's records and, for a small fee, you will receive a scan of the original handwritten record from enlistment to discharge.

Here is a link that should guide you through applying for your grandfather's records http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/179.page

Nick

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 28/07/2017 10:49:38

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
shelldrake
Forum Member

Nick,

My thanks for your response, the link, which I've yet to use and offering to take the time to search your files, once you get back from your break.

Any help/pointers gratefully received - as I said, I'm new to researching and wish I'd got the info when Grandad was still alive.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

shelldrake wrote:

Any help/pointers gratefully received - as I said, I'm new to researching and wish I'd got the info when Grandad was still alive.

Therei s nothing new there - I think that is true of most of us that contribute to the CVA, but, because of that, we have carried out a huge amount of research beween us and we all want to share our new found knowledge of these brave souls.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Shelldrake

Keep on searching. We all wish we had asked more questions, me of my Mum and his comrades, since Dad was kia 1st November 1944 I was born January 1945. Keep digging and looking it is important to get records on here so future generations will know of the WW2 Commandos.

Best wishes.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi, There is an 'R. Jackson' listed in the nominal roll for No.6 Commando but his last known address was St Albans, Herts, so it is unlikely that this is your grandfather.
Do you have any other information and possibly any photographs of him in uniform which may assist in our research?

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/07/2017 12:55:03

Nick Collins,

[Email]
shelldrake
Forum Member

Nick,

My thanks for your time and research on my original request for help. I'm in the process of applying for Grandad's Service record from the MOD and awaiting some additional info from my Mum, 250 miles away and now in her 80's, she finds it a bit difficult to remember things. Hopefully armed with more info, I'll be able to make more specific enquiries of you and the association soon.

Regards

Shelldrake
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

No problem, we're here to help...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
shelldrake
Forum Member

Nick,

After 4 months the MOD have sent me a copy of Grandad's War Record, which I'm still deciphering!!

I now have his Service Number - 305477 - and Rank - Trooper. He enlisted into The Household Cavalry in November 1939 and after training was posted into 2 Household Cavalry Motor Bn.

He served at "Home" until embarking for NW Europe in July 1944. In March 1946 he returned "Home" where he was Y Listed and transferred to the Reserve in May 1946, his home address was in Leeds.

There is no mention of service with the Commandos, although his Service Record gives no details of where he served between 1944 and 1946, (his Medal Card gives me some clues) however there is a box which is annotated in ink 27 -/52 but no other detail. My mother is adamant that Grandfather was an ARMY Commando, but this is now looking doubtful?

Grateful for your advice/thoughts.

One other thing I learned - there is a history of 2 HCR in WW2, written by an officer at the time, in 1953 - if you can find a copy it retails for about £240 today!! Too rich for me!!

Shelldrake
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

There is detailed information about 2 Household Cavalry Motor Bn. In a response to an enquiry on this website:

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/household-cavalry.48315/

Note the infornation about the troop that separated from the Regiment in June 1944 and did not rejoin them until September. There are lots of possibilities just one of which may be that they may have been used as armoured support of the Commando Brigades operating there. The War Diary at Kew for that troop during the period July and Sept. 1944, or perhaps even of the Commando units, may show whether this was, or was not, the case.

The War Diaries for the Commando Units during that period can be found here:

http://www.pegasusarchive.org/normandy/

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 17/12/2017 14:26:57

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger