commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Dissertation research Combined Operations, Army & RM Commandos / 30 Cdo / COPPs  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Jim Wright
Forum Member

Hi I'm researching my dissertation on the Intelligence collected by CO, Army and RM Commandos, 30 Cdo, COPPs during WW2. This is primarily in the European theatre however any information is useful as background and can provide context. I'm trying to find out if anyone can help me, would be open to meeting me and talking about it or has any material they wouldn't mind sharing?

As an aside I believe my Granddad was in 2/4 Cdo during WW2 and I would be interested in hearing more about what he did / about him, copies of pictures etc. His name was George Henry Wright, he was from Barnsley and joined the Commandos from a Royal Artillery Regiment I believe. I am going to request his records too but if there is any information available from the people on here then that would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jim
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Wright K G Major is on No 4 Nominal Roll but cannot see any other.

Bill Harvey

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/07/2017 11:20:54

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Jim Wright
Forum Member

Thanks, I've had a look through and can't see his name in the either 2/4 nominal roll, I am however in the process of requesting his service records so hopefully that will shed some more light on his service history.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Jim,

Can you explain what you mean by 2/4 Commando please.

There was an Australian Commando which was designated 2/4 Cdo - but I know you're not talking about them...

Are you describing 2 Troop, No.4 Commando?
Are you saying that your grandfather served in both No.2 Cdo and No.4 Cdo?
Are you getting confused with 42 RM Commando (spoken as 'Four Two' Commando)?

Any clues or photos might help us help you...

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Jim Wright
Forum Member

Sorry for the confusion I believe he was in 2 and 4 Cdos at different times (vague recollection from what he told me as a child). His nickname was Bud.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Cheers Jim,

Any photos of Bud - particularly in uniform?

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Jim Wright
Forum Member

Hi, I haven't got any but I've asked in the family and they are going to have a look so I'll post them when I get some.

would anyone be able to help with my research topic?

Thanks Jim
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jim,

If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend you visit the National Archives at Kew and read the various War Diaries...

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Jim Wright
Forum Member

Thanks Nick, I've been to TNA but I haven't looked at the war diaries. So that'll be something to do on my next visit :)

There's loads of information out there, I've read the histories of CO, 30 AU etc and they mention the intelligence that was collected such as Enigma cyphers and wheels from the Krebs during the Lofoten Islands raids or the German Navy archives at Tambach and even information collected after Normandy on Crossbow etc reference V1 & 2 rockets but I can't seem to find what that information was or subsequently what it was used for.

I've had some pictures sent through of my Granddad and some further info, it appears that he was in 4 & 6 not 2 & 4. Although his name doesn't appear in the nominal roll for any of those commandos.
Jim Wright
Forum Member

Here are some pictures that my family have found
[Thumb - IMG_2001.JPG]
 Filename IMG_2001.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description I think this might be in Gibraltar?
 Filesize 265 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  338 time(s)

[Thumb - IMG_2018.JPG]
 Filename IMG_2018.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Certificate of service with No 6 Cdo
 Filesize 430 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  339 time(s)

[Thumb - IMG_2016.JPG]
 Filename IMG_2016.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Picture of my grandad
 Filesize 238 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  334 time(s)

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jim Wright wrote:Thanks Nick, I've been to TNA but I haven't looked at the war diaries. So that'll be something to do on my next visit :)

There's loads of information out there, I've read the histories of CO, 30 AU etc and they mention the intelligence that was collected such as Enigma cyphers and wheels from the Krebs during the Lofoten Islands raids or the German Navy archives at Tambach and even information collected after Normandy on Crossbow etc reference V1 & 2 rockets but I can't seem to find what that information was or subsequently what it was used for.

I've had some pictures sent through of my Granddad and some further info, it appears that he was in 4 & 6 not 2 & 4. Although his name doesn't appear in the nominal roll for any of those commandos.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the photos & Commando Service Certificate.

You are right, there is a wealth of information out there - but it is a case of tracking it down...
Although I thoroughly recommend reading the respective War Diaries, do not expect to find too much of the information you require (ie the intelligence gathered by the various units).
The War Diaries were written daily, usually by the Adjutant, at the forward operating positions, then sent back to the War Office on a monthly basis; therefore, information as to intelligence gathering would not be written down for obvious reasons...

The reason your grandfather's name did not appear on any of the nominal rolls in the Archive is simple enough to explain...
The (Army) Commando Units were made up of volunteers from all the British Regiments. Individual volunteers were only on temporary loan, from their parent regiments, and remained on their regimental payroll.
To date, no definitive nominal roll of commandos has been found...

Not long after finding & joining the CVA, I decided to try to compile a nominal roll for No.5 Cdo - the Commando in which my father served. This was achieved by poring over War Diaries, documents, books and Commando Association Newsletters etc. and eventually and after much hard work and long hours on the computer, I'd compiled a reasonable list of names. After posting No.5 Commando nominal roll on the Forum it was suggested that I try to compile a nominal roll for each Commando!
A daunting task, but I agreed and slowly and with much invaluable contributions from a couple of CVA stalwarts, we managed to produce some useful lists of names.

We acknowledge that these Nominal Rolls are not complete and that there will inevitably be errors and omissions, but we are always happy to amend the lists and add names when families and friends of commandos advise us that we've missed their relative(s) off the lists - although we do ask for some form of evidence of commando service before adding names to the lists.

I will certainly add your grandfather to the No.6 Cdo Nominal Roll on the basis of his Commando Service Certificate - but do you have any evidence that he was in No.4 Cdo - other than his Certificate was signed by the Commanding Officer of No.4 Cdo?
His service number and his rank show that he was in The Royal Artillery but his cap badge is that of The Reconnaissance Corps.

Nick

[Email]
Jim Wright
Forum Member

That's all I've got at the moment. As I said I'm applying for his service records, so hopefully they'll provide more details about what he did during the war. It must be very difficult to keep track of who was where and when so totally understand why he wasn't in there.

I wasn't aware of the reconnaissance corps I'll have to have a look into them, thanks for your help.
Jim Wright
Forum Member

Just had these photos sent through, does anyone have any ideas what / where they are?

[Thumb - IMG_2021.JPG]
 Filename IMG_2021.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Somewhere in Europe
 Filesize 365 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  335 time(s)

[Thumb - IMG_2004.JPG]
 Filename IMG_2004.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 296 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  315 time(s)

[Thumb - IMG_2020.JPG]
 Filename IMG_2020.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description Silhouette of a ship
 Filesize 219 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  314 time(s)

Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Jim,

The group photo above in the old town square is 1 Commando Brigade Signal Troop, Neustadt, 2 June 1945.

I found this out the hard way by endless searches when in fact it was under our noses all the time in the sites photo gallery.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/HQ+and+Sigs/Signals+troops/1+Commando+Brigade+Signal+Troop_+Neustadt_+2+june+1945_+Jimmy+Norton+12th+from+R_+back+row.jpg.html

Regards Vic
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Vic,
I was sure I'd seen that photo - or at least the buildings - before..
I've spent a few hours trying to track the exact place down on the Internet!

Thanks!

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger