commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Finding my grandfather  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Ray
Forum Member

Dear People I am looking for the last known UK address for Royal Marine 41 Commando Arthur George Alfred/Service No CH/X 104625, I am trying to link him or his parents to an address in Hull during the war. if I can make the link then I know he was my grandfather,
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Ray,

The service number you quoted in your thread CH/X 104625 was issued to RM Arthur George Alfred RAYNER who died 10/7/1943

Here is the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) record for RM Rayner - you will note that his parents' address (at the time of his death) was Hackney, London.
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2066683/RAYNER,%20ARTHUR%20GEORGE%20ALFRED

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/07/2017 21:37:30

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Ray
Forum Member

NIC wrote:Hi Ray,

The service number you quoted in your thread CH/X 104625 was issued to RM Arthur George Alfred RAYNER who died 10/7/1943

Here is the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) record for RM Rayner - you will note that his parents' address (at the time of his death) was Hackney, London.
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2066683/RAYNER,%20ARTHUR%20GEORGE%20ALFRED

Nick
Thank you Nick for the information.Was CH/X 104625 Rayner ever based in or around the Hull area during the war ? my reason is my dad passed away sometime ago and he never knew his dad the only thing he new was his name Rayner a Commando who gave his life fighting during the war.But if CH/X 104625 Rayner was from Hackney London then there is no link.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Ray,

Unfortunately we do not have that information. There is every possibility that Arthur Rayner served in or around Hull during the War - if this was the case it it would probably have been as a Royal Marine (before he became a Royal Marine Commando).
There were obviously many Shore Base Establishments on the East Coast and certainly HMS Beaver and HMS Beaver I were in Hull and Grimsby with HMS Beaver II and HMS Beaver III in nearby Immingham - but I couldn't say that Arthur Rayner served in any of these bases.
Again the CVA does not have this sort of information.
The only advice I can offer is that you apply to the MoD for Arthur Rayner's service records.

The MOD is the custodian of the records of service personnel records until they are opened to general public access at the National Archives.

Subject to the payment of an administration fee, certain information can be provided from the records of service of service personnel on request under the publication scheme.

Under the scheme, and in recognition of the duty of care owed to the family of the deceased subject, for a period of 25 years following the date of death of the subject and without the consent of the next of kin, MOD will disclose only:

surname
forename
rank
service number
regiment/corps
place of birth
date of death where this occurred in service
the date an individual joined the service
the date of leaving
good conduct medals (for example, Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (LS&GCM)), any orders of chivalry and gallantry medals (decorations of valour) awarded, some of which may have been announced in the London Gazette

However, after this 25 year period, and if it is held, in addition MOD will disclose without the requirement for next of kin consent:

the units in which he/she served
the dates of this service and the locations of those units
the ranks in which the service was carried out and details of campaign medals awarded.

The admin fee - payable to the MoD - is £30 and there is no guarantee that you will find what you are looking for. But, should you wish to follow this route, I can give you the link to the two forms that you'd need to complete and send to the RN Records Office.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/07/2017 23:01:15

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger