commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
commando association  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
keith hurst
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have no doubt this question has been asked before but when the association stood down what happened to its records (membership) :?:

keith hurst

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/10/2008 19:47:33

geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Unfortunately the CA hierarchy who decided that the CA should stand down, also decided that no access would be given to their records, using the excuse of the data protection act. We were also not allowed to promote the CVA until the CA had actually 'stood down', by which time it was too late. There are hundreds of wartime Commandos out there who would be over the moon to know that the CVA exists and that they still have an opportunity to keep in touch with their pals. We get a handful of applications from those who have heard of us from third hand, and are actually chuffed to bits to have made contact, but the remainder will never have the choice to join us. It is an awful shame that this is the fact, however we continue to do our best to re-engage with as many as we can. If you can help by advertising the CVA in local British Legions or newspapers etc then please do so.

Regards
Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Geoff:

Regarding your posting concerning non-cooperation between the old Commando Association and our C.V.A. organization, I would be tempted to say HMPH!! or something less polite!

Indeed in the matter of the most important historical data, the Rolls of Honour of the Commando Fallen, it was not until 2007 that an accurate record was established by the C.V.A. This all-important undertaking had been neglected by the old Commando Association in their existence, and many names of Commandos who made the ultimate sacrifice would have been ignored by history if the C.V.A. had not been organized.

By separate email we are sending a listing of a few hundred names, addresses, etc., of members of the old Commando Association, which Janet unearthed this morning using a long shovel. You can of course decide what information you can pass on to others at your discretion. We hope that the listing may be of some use.

Thanks for all your good work.

Bob
keith hurst
Forum Member
[Avatar]

geoff is it possible that the CVA would do a letter addressed to former commando,s on CVA letterhead inviting them to join. Members could download this and take a copy into there local british legion branch,s and possibly contact there local papers

KEITH
keith hurst
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Geoff

I HAVE JUST READ BOBS RESPONSE AND I HAVE ONLY ONE THING TO SAY ( I WISH THERE WAS MORE BOB BISHOPS IN THE WORLD) :shock:

please excuse me shouting but he is along way away

keith
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello

Many of us grew up with the Commando Association and they did a wonderful job for us who had fathers killed in action. They helped Mum and me go out to see Dad's grave in Holland when I was about 17. Let us not forget the work they have done throughout the years. I think they made the wrong decision to stand down and that is why I am an associate member of the CVA. I also think that they have made the wrong decision not to give their members information about the CVA. They could have done this by issuing a letter to all their members which would not have broken the Data Protection Act. I believe that they should still do this with the CVA paying the postage! I know the trouble I had trying to find out about Dad when Mum died. It was only with the help of a few surviving Commandos and some very good Dutch friends I was able to piece things together. You only need to look at the posts to our site to see how many relatives are trying to find out about the heroes who did not say very much of what they did in the War. Perhaps this post could be past onto the executive officers of the Commando Association asking them, as they have done over the years, to help relatives find out about members of their family who served during World War 2.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
keith hurst
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I think Bills comments show the feeling so many of us have about keep hitting a brick wall when we know that the info we are looking for is available but allways just out of reach

keith
lushershouse
Forum Member

How about requesting the information under the "freedom of information act" ??

http://www.freedomofinformation.co.uk/content/view/30/36/

http://www.ico.gov.uk/what_we_cover/freedom_of_information/the_basics.aspx

just a thought !!!

I`ve probably got it wrong as usual LOL

Denise xx )
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I believe in using the power of the media as a tool to promote good causes and without a doubt the CVA is a good cause. With such a poignant time of the year as Remembrance Sunday approaching, when so many veterans, their relatives ,family and friends, and others from all walks of life, get together to honour the fallen, a suitable Press Release with information about the CVA and this website I hope has already been considered. The emphasis should be made on membership availability for past, and present, Green Beret holders . I was unaware of the CVA myself until I found it by chance on the web. My application for associate membership to Geoff is now on way. Perhaps an information page about the CVA that could be downloaded and distributed by existing members might help. The Home page here with the picture and welcome message and including the website details would be all that was needed. Any such advertising however might result in an increase in communication requests to the CVA so that should be taken into consideration also. If these things have been done already then I apologise but without ideas where would be

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete

This sounds a good idea, but if the emphasis should not only be on membership but associate membership to encourage relatives to join.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Dear all, having been involved with the CVA for many years, this subject often crops up and the same questions/suggestions are put forward. The bottom line is that the CA records that 'may' have been retained cannot be disclosed in their entirety. We can request certain general information i.e. number of CA members at time of stand down etc, however we cannot request specific information such as personal details and addresses of previous CA members, some of whom may have passed away. We are working on a solution to this from many angles (i.e. paying to have a letter put out on our behalf) but we have to be very careful about our approach. At the end of the day it is a sensitive issue that is CVA Committee business, however we are hopeful of a result at some point in the near future.

A concurrent activity to this indeed would be to add a flyer to the site that members can download. I have completed a flyer and shall have it uploaded as soon as I get a chance. The flyers could be posted in local RBL and other similar establishments. If any members have contacts with local/national media that can assist us then please contact me and we can plan accordingly; this needs to be monitored by the Committee as we have had some disappointing articles giving inaccurate and misleading information on the CVA. We do have many website links also which are a good source of publicity.

Regards for now.

Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
keith hurst
Forum Member
[Avatar]

As the person who started the ball rolling on this subject can say I am very pleased with the response. I wish more subjects were responded to in this way.
May I allso say that the explanation given by Geoff was measured and well explained may I thank him and the committee and wish them well in there endevors on behalf of all of us.

keith

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 11/10/2008 17:44:19

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Geoff

Many thanks for all the Committee and you do on our behalf. Wishing you all the best in what are delicate matters.

Best wishes.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The commando association helped financially when my dad was killed in 1952 Our mam had 4 kids to bring up and the CA sent Major Heron MC ( 5 Commando) to chat to her
Where is the CA former secretary Mr Youngman ? why isnt he involved with the CVA ? i tihnk im right in saying he lost his dad on D-day,He should be here with us all with his experience

SE Donnison
[MSN]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger