commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando commemoration at Achnacarry, 12th July 2017  XML
Forum Index » Association Events
Noel Rabouhans
Forum Member

I am writing on behalf of the Naval Attaché at the French Embassy to advise you of a commemorative event for the Free French commandos, and indeed all commandos who trained at Achnacarry, which will take place on Wednesday 12th July 2017, and to invite you to attend.
The commemoration coincides with the visit to Scotland of the cutter Mutin, the oldest ship currently in the Marine Nationale, to mark the 90th anniversary of her launch. Mutin was launched in 1927 as a sail training ship, and, disguised as a French tuna fishing boat, was engaged in SOE operations during WW2. From 10th to 13th July, she will be traversing the Caledonian Canal from Inverness to Fort William, and on 12th July will be at Gairlochy.
The commemorative events will include a ceremony at the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge, where wreaths will be laid, a private visit to Achnacarry*, and a reception on board Mutin.
The ceremony will be attended by a delegation from Royal Marine 43 Commando, and possibly a small detachment from the present day Commando Kieffer. Veterans and families of other British commando units, and of the wartime Kieffer Commandos are welcome to attend.
The detailed programme has not yet been finalised, but I would ask you to let me know by 19th June if you would like and are able to attend, so that I will have an idea of numbers. I will then send you further details of the programme as soon as they are known.
I hope that a number of you will be able to attend, and look forward to hearing from you by private message.
Kind regards,
Noël Rabouhans
(son of Raymond Rabouhans, 5178 FN41)

*grounds, not the castle itself
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Just bringing this to the attention again of anyone who might be able to make it. Contact Noel by pm if you think you can. I hope to be able to attend.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I will be attending with family already in touch with Noel.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Peter Cooper
Forum Member

Bill, you are so lucky, living so close.

Son of Dennis Cooper, 1 troop 4 Commando.
JMB
Forum Member

Any idea when the service is at the Commando Memorial tomorrow?

The MUTIN arrived at Gairlochy this afternoon

I would add one of the images but can't link to FLICKR images

The PDF is http://www.defense.gouv.fr/content/download/162624/1678021/Plaquette%20Mutin.pdf

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 12/07/2017 13:53:01

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

If you get there for 10.30 then you should have no access problems. The ceremony begins at 11am.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
JMB
Forum Member

Pete wrote:If you get there for 10.30 then you should have no access problems. The ceremony begins at 11am.

Thanks, I might walk up from the village and see if I can get some photographs.

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

See you tomorrow.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
JMB
Forum Member

Some pictures from today

Complete set of images on FLICKR and also included in the folder with the ones of MUTIN.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 12/07/2017 13:52:21

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Wonderful day was spent with the French. Many thanks to the French and to crew of the Mutin and Noel.

Bill

Bill Harvey

Forum Index » Association Events
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger