commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
MAJOR MICHAEL W. STILWELL, C.B.E., M.C. No. 2 Commando, 1920-2008  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

MAJOR MICHAEL W. STILWELL, C.B.E. M.C.
NO. 2 COMMANDO
1920-2008

Dear Geoff:

Early today I was informed that the senior remaining member of No. 2 Commando, Major ?Mike? Stilwell had passed away on October 7th, 2008, peacefully at his home in Sintra, Portugal. He was 88.

The Stilwell Family served the Nation with utmost fidelity in the Second World War. I will never forget the inspiring leadership of the young Major ?Mike?, then 24, in action with his comrades of our No. 2 Commando. The Major?s two brothers, Lt. Anthony Stilwell, age 20, fell in Italy in 1943, and Lt. Peter Stilwell, age 21, died of wounds in battle in Tunisia also in 1943. My wife and I are so thankful to have had the privilege of visiting the family in Portugal in 2006.

I have been advised that the funeral rites for the Major will be tomorrow, October 9th. In attendance will be members of the Commando Association and the Royal British Legion. The Commando Veterans Association will be represented by Mr. Anthony Stilwell, the Major?s oldest son and C.V.A. member.

I am sure that all the old comrades of this gallant officer will be there in fond remembrance also and that we all extend our most loving condolences to the Stilwell Family.

Bob Bishop

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 09/10/2008 12:26:07

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My sincere condolences to Mr Anthony Stilwell and his family, and may Major Stilwell Rest In Peace

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Bob, many thanks for informing us. I have sent our condolences to Anthony and will be in touch with him soon.

Kind regards

Geoff

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bob would want me to pass this site on to you. I'm sorry he didn't get to see it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/3454638/Major-Michael-Stilwell.html

I hope someone will make sure Johnny Morris gets to see it.

Thanks to everyone for their comments about Bob. The love and friendship means such a great deal to us.

Janet
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bob Bishop wrote:Bob would want me to pass this site on to you. I'm sorry he didn't get to see it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/3454638/Major-Michael-Stilwell.html

I hope someone will make sure Johnny Morris gets to see it.

Thanks to everyone for their comments about Bob. The love and friendship means such a great deal to us.

Janet

Janet,
Thank you for posting this at what is such a difficult time for you.

I know, from meeting Bob last weekend, that he had a huge amount of respect for Major Stillwell and also that Mike Stillwell owed Bob a huge debt of gratitude.
I think that Bob would have been quietly pleased.

With love and best wishes,

Nick
[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

It has been brought to my attention that Major Michael Stilwell appears in one of our photos posted on the Gallery - Solta 1 which can be viewed at:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/Solta+1.jpg.html

The Major's son, Anthony, called me yesterday with the exciting news and asked that I arrange to have this referenced on the site. With great pleasure. The Major is standing behind Piper McKee on his right (to the left as you look at the photo).

I don't know how Bob missed that :( but I hope he is as thrilled as I am to see it now.

My best wishes to all,

Janet Bishop
[Thumb - piper Mckee.jpg]
 Filename piper Mckee.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Major Michael Stilwell - behind Piper McKee on his right (to the left as you look at the photo)
 Filesize 74 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  443 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Photo updated. Thanks for the information Janet. Link to photo in gallery is here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/Solta+1.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Remembering our dear friend, Major Michael Stilwell.

With love and best wishes to dear Ines and all the wonderful Stilwell family.

Janet
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Another year has passed and once again, tomorrow, we remember dear Michael.

Love to all the Stilwell family.

Janet

[Thumb - Michael and Bob farewell May 20060001.jpg]
 Filename Michael and Bob farewell May 20060001.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 203 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  469 time(s)

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger