commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Photos belonging to Idris Jones of No1 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete here are some more photos for the No1 gallery.

I recently met up with Idris Jones' daughter (Gwenan) who has very kindly given me the original prints of Idris's No1 Cmd photos, some of these are already in the gallery. However the ones that I am just about to upload now (fingers crossed as I haven't done this for a while) have not been seen before.

Although the first photo is not dated I am pretty sure is was taken after their return from N.Africa and before their posting to Burma as they are all wearing the campaign ribbons for this theater of ops, also their uniforms are the normal khaki serge rather than the lighter warmer weather uniforms worn in Burma.

The third photograph is an image of Elwyn Edwards who was Idris's best friend, they were both in 5 Troop, Elwyn was KIA on the 28th Sep 1941 while taking part in a small scale raid code named Operation Chopper and is buried in France. Another section of 5 Troop took part in a simultaneous raid the same night, which Idris and my father took part in code named Operation Deepcut.
[Thumb - Idris Jones Left-Cpl Gwyn Jones Middle-William Jones right-No1 Commando.jpg]
 Filename Idris Jones Left-Cpl Gwyn Jones Middle-William Jones right-No1 Commando.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 447 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  432 time(s)

[Thumb - Group photo of members of No1 Commando in Burma or India. 2nd from left Sgt Gwyn Jones.jpg]
 Filename Group photo of members of No1 Commando in Burma or India. 2nd from left Sgt Gwyn Jones.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 182 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  471 time(s)

[Thumb - Elwyn Edwards left-Idris Jones right-No1 Commando.jpg]
 Filename Elwyn Edwards left-Idris Jones right-No1 Commando.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 287 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  387 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 21/04/2017 15:15:53

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks Andy and thank you Gwenan. These 3 photos now added to the No 1 Commando Gallery.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

A lot of those in the group photo appear to have the same cap badge. Not being very good at badge recognition, whilst I have an idea, can anyone confirm the badge identity?

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/IMG_1122.JPG.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Pete

Thanks for putting these onto the the gallery, regarding the cap badges I know that Sgt Gwyn Jones (front row) was Royal Welch Fusiliers and the chap juts behind him to the right of the photo has what appears to be the same cap badge so I'm guessing that he is also RWF. Sorry can't help with the other badge identifications.

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger