commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commandos in Norway - a photo and a good link  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This photo was taken in Kirkintilloch, Scotland, on their return from Norway 1940. All these details are on the back.
Back row : Bob Lowson, Hugo Wynne,Arthur Ashcroft, "Tiny" Burke, Jack Cheetham, Les Horrobin;
Kneeling : Gerry Wilson, my Uncle Ken McAllister, Terry Jackson
front row: ??? Harrington, Eddie Prout and Nat Hayes.

A great pic and I can see why they nicknamed him "Tiny"

Here is a link to the Norway operations

http://www.nuav.net/commando.html
[Thumb - pic 2.jpg]
 Filename pic 2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description comrades in arms..
 Filesize 217 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  514 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Gavin7
Forum Member

Thanks for posting this photo. Bob Lowson is still alive and living in Birkenhead. After the commandos he joined the SAS in 1942 and served with them for the rest of the war, winning an MM in France, before being shot in the leg by a German sniper a month before the end of the war
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Gavin

Bob was a friend of my father and uncle sadly both now passed on. He also will know Ken's wife, my Aunt Sylvia, who still lives in Birkinhead. I'll send you a private message

Regards

Pete Rogers

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger