commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Capt.D.J.P. THIRKELL-WHITE  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

What is the source of the information regarding his death with 1 Cdo at LEROS.

By chance I came across an article from the KING'S OWN ROYAL REGIMENT MUSEUM, www.kingsownmuseum.com/ww2-leros-01htm refers.

Capt DJP THIRKELL-WHITE is shown as Officer Commanding "A" Company 1st Bn The King's Own Royal Regiment, the regiment having landed on the island of LEROS on the 5th NOVEMBER ,1943, also his death is show as 14 Nov. 1943

Was he still with the commando's.

Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

As always with those who died the primary source is the CWGC. I had noticed the anomaly in their entry, and a few others, but had no official source of information that would satisfy the CWGC criteria for changes, such as the Service Record of the individual, or a copy of any entry in the 1 Commando War Diary to the effect he had actually left the Commando, and not just been detached on a Mission from it, ir some other record/reason.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

From the War Office casualty list 1402, Suffolk Regiment serving with the Kings Own Regiment. Two other Officers from the Kings Own appear on the same list.
[Thumb - THIRKELL-WHITE.png]
 Filename THIRKELL-WHITE.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 378 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  348 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thank you Guy. I have added that detail to his bio page. Graham will you be querying this with the CWGC to see if they have any information we are not privy to ?

http://www.commandoveterans.org/ThirkellWhite1Commando

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Have spoken to the CWGC,they have no further information.

Have spoken to the KORR museum regarding the transcript,the information printed was from a private source,and not from the official war diaries.

Have spoken to the National Archives regarding the war diary for the KORR.,they could not give file reference while on phone but will get back to me later.

Have emailed enquiry to Suffolk Regimental museum,awaiting reply.

Will keep you informed as the information or not comes in.

Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger