commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
John Power, No4 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Jim7757
Forum Member

All being well, I'm hoping to take my uncle, John Power, to Spean Bridge for the Remembrance Day ceremony on Sunday, 10th November.

John is now 89 and amazingly fit for his age - if not quite as mobile as he once was. My aim is to make the trip something of a surprise day out (unlikely as it sounds I know!) and hopefully give him a truly memorable day. I was wondering if there is any chance of any of his old comrades, or their relatives, also being there on the day? Also, can anyone enlighten me regarding any arrangements that have already been made for lunch on the day? If it's not too late, I'd like to ensure that John has the opportunity to share his memories with any old chums or interested parties.

Many thanks.

Jim Power

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/08/2009 10:08:14

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

H Jim in addition to my private message to you please look in forum under recent topics and you will see one i recently posted titled 4 Commando and about your Uncle. There is a request from Bill Harvey to see if your Uncle John knew his dad Gunner William (Bill) Harvey. Perhaps you could ask John.

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/10/2008 20:55:44

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Jim, the parades on Sunday start at Fort William at around 1000hrs for the town parade and the approx 1400hrs at the Commando Memorial for the Commando Service. If you arrive early please come to the Alexandra Hotel in the centre of Fort William where you will find many wartime Commando Veterans and their families, the majority of whom are members of the CVA. If you ask for myself I will introduce you to any of the other 4 Commando veterans that are present. I look forward to meeting you and John and am sure he will be absolutely delighted.

Regards
Geoff

ps. if you need accomodation or transport please contact me by PM.

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Geoff

That's a good idea. Colin Price will be up as well as me.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger