commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Lt Col Freddy Spencer Chapman's camp at Sungai Sempam, Pahang, Malaysia  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
RichardPenang
Forum Member

Gentlemen,

As a long time admirer of Spencer Chapman now living in Malaysia, I'm trying to pinpoint the precise location of his camp at Sungai Sempam, as described in Chapter 3 of The Jungle is Neutral. I've managed to identify the initial fix - a small hydro power station referred to, which appears to be still operational. The book describes the route from the power station to the camp as initially running up a steep hillside pipeline. I've not yet visited the power station, which apparently still supplies power to an active gold mine, much as was the case in Spencer Chapmans time. I've been told that armed guards protect the immediate vicinity due to the gold mine, which may preclude a search hike, but I hope to attempt a visit and if possible an exploratory hike up the pipeline later this year.

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone has any information which would help pinpoint the location of the camp - maybe visited it? In the latter case, I'd be interested to know if anything remained, what the terrain was like etc etc.

Many thanks.

RP

david sartin
Forum Member

Hi Richard,
I do not know if you will get this post, as I have only just come across this site during my own research.
It is interesting to note your interest in Freddy Spencer Chapman, as my father was Lt. John Sartin, one of Freddy's three man party, who appears in the book The Jungle is Neutral. I am currently researching his wartime exploits with Freddy and Bill Harvey. My dad did not speak much about his time in the Jungle or in captivity, but has made quite a few notes about his activities, which I am putting together. My father also appeared in a BBC documentary SOE Arms and the Dragon, and also appeared on This is Your Life back in 1963, when the subject was Freddy Spencer Chapman. Let me know if you get this post, and I will help you if I can in your research. If you do manage to get to the camp a photo would be much appreciated. You can contact me through my email address [email protected].
Regards
David Sartin

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger