commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commando photo  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Now heres a photo I found. I believe that it may be 2 Commando but I'll leave Bob Bishop or anyone else to verify this as and when he sees it. I believe my Dad is in the front row extreme left as you look at it - standing.
 Filename commando pic 1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description a good pic of some Commandos
 Filesize 705 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  596 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

That is an extremely good, sharp photo which makes it an excellent source of information regarding cap badges, uniform etc.

Definately one for the CVA Gallery?

I'm sure Bob will have no trouble putting names to faces on this one.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi thanks Nic. I have a few more and have asked Geoff Murray the best way to get them posted rather than doing them individually here...but yes the quality of the one i posted is great
Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Fantastic photo tough lookin lot eh

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Regarding the No. 2 Commando photograph posted by Pete Rogers, together with comments on its excellent quality by Nick and Stephen D., I must say that my vision capability has gone down the tube somewhat in the last year or so. But, the same photo was sent to me by C.V.A. member and friend, Di Edwards, over a year ago and I can remember what I noted from the picture at that time.

Among the men who are portrayed were Di Edwards? father, Pte. Bernard Edwards, and also Sgt. Bill Rudge, D.C.M., L/Cpt. Bill Humble, M.M., Fus. Andy Gray, M.M., L/Sgt. Joe Rogers, M.M., Capt. G. Webb, M.C. & Bar, Cpl. E. Douglas, M.M., Pte. W. Ainslie, Pte. E. Buckmaster, Pte. S. Buckmaster, Pte. K. Cook, Pte. Enoch Sheard, Pte. T. Wells, Cpl. F. Healey, Pte. Des. Rochford and T.S.M. Ken McAllister.

About thirty other men pictured had just graduated from our in-house training class for replacements recruited from the 8th Army in Italy. Those boys had been given their green berets upon graduation, but they have no fighting knife cap badges displayed. They had yet to learn how to manufacture, beg, borrow or steal, the required insignia.

Sorry not to have been more helpful.

Best regards to all
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Bob thank you for taking the time and effort to investigate the photo...All the names you mention I recall my dad as mentioning at some time , and some I have had the pleasure and privilege of meeting. Thanks again.

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/10/2008 13:39:22

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bob Bishop wrote:Regarding the No. 2 Commando photograph posted by Pete Rogers, together with comments on its excellent quality by Nick and Stephen D., I must say that my vision capability has gone down the tube somewhat in the last year or so. But, the same photo was sent to me by C.V.A. member and friend, Di Edwards, over a year ago and I can remember what I noted from the picture at that time.

Among the men who are portrayed were Di Edwards? father, Pte. Bernard Edwards, and also Sgt. Bill Rudge, D.C.M., L/Cpt. Bill Humble, M.M., Fus. Andy Gray, M.M., L/Sgt. Joe Rogers, M.M., Capt. G. Webb, M.C. & Bar, Cpl. E. Douglas, M.M., Pte. W. Ainslie, Pte. E. Buckmaster, Pte. S. Buckmaster, Pte. K. Cook, Pte. Enoch Sheard, Pte. T. Wells, Cpl. F. Healey, Pte. Des. Rochford and T.S.M. Ken McAllister.

About thirty other men pictured had just graduated from our in-house training class for replacements recruited from the 8th Army in Italy. Those boys had been given their green berets upon graduation, but they have no fighting knife cap badges displayed. They had yet to learn how to manufacture, beg, borrow or steal, the required insignia.

Sorry not to have been more helpful.

Best regards to all

I was sworn to secrecy on this, but I hope I'll be forgiven when I reveal that maybe dear Bob's memory wasn't quite as good as we all thought - because that young commando in the front row (indicated by an arrow) is none other than Bob Bishop himself.

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Mark G
Forum Member

Hello,
This is my first post here after being directed to this site by a fellow collector. I have been fascinated to find so much information on No 2 Commando and to see the many photographs. This photo especially caught my interest due to the fact that I have a No 2 Commando beret which belonged to Pte Des Rochford.
I don't know if anyone is able to point out Pte Rochford in this photograph for me but I would definitely appreciate it if you can.

Thank you

Mark

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 08/09/2009 23:46:57

geoffmurray1
Forum Member

For info, Des Rochford is a member of the CVA and lives in Taunton.

Regards

Geoff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 14/09/2009 22:03:18

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger