commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No 4 Commando  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Met last night with an old friend of my Dads - John Power of No. 4 Commando. They didnt know each other in the war but both were heavily involved in the Edinburgh branch of the Commando Association when it was still going. Thought I'd put his name here in case some of his Commando mates from No.4 were about. He seemed incredbly fit and I have to say a very nice guy. I took some of my Dads old pictures of the members of the Edinburgh Branch to him and with his help managed to place some names to faces. I will post these and other WW2 Commando pics of my Dads as soon as I get a new scanner for my pc - modern technology !! Some names from the Edinburgh branch that cropped up during our conversation were Jack Wales, Stan Smith, Bill Humble, Ronnie Williamson, Hugh Hunter, Jimmy Adams, Jimmy Carrigan, Freddie Mills, Ron Crippen...

edited on 2/6/09 : one of the above names should read Jack Wells or Cpl. John "Jack" Wells. Info from Richard Wells...grandson of Jack. See this post in forum for more about Jack:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/951.page

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 02/06/2009 20:38:26

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete

If you are talking to John Power again ask him if he knew my Dad Gunner William (Bill) Harvey, A Troop No 4 Commando, who was killed in action at Flushing on 1 November 1944.

Best wishes.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Bill
I wont see John again for about 4 weeks but I will mention your dads name to him then ...He did mention Flushing when I spoke with him last night but only briefly

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks. Pete

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Stephen Unwin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete,

could run my Dads details past him as well, I know its a long shot but you never Know.

Albert Unwin (scouser) radio operator believed to have served with F troop
He was very distinctive having Ginger hair.

Regards

Steve

'To the skirl of pipes and in Green Beret, the men from Achnacarry led the way'
[MSN]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Steve....my sister visists John on a regular basis and is actually seeing him this afternoon. I have provided her with the details of both your dad and Bill Harveys dad to see if John knew them. I will private message you both with any information I get.

Pete

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Pete

Pass on thanks to your sister.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
Stephen Unwin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Ditto for me as well Pete

[MSN]
Stephen Unwin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

For anyone who follows threads that sometimes fade away with no resoulton I thought I would let you know developments.

Pete has been in touch with me via PM and let me know that John remembers my father, Result! So we are set for a Q&A session at FW over a few pints.

Thanks once again Pete

[MSN]
Rich
Forum Member

Hi Pete

Just reading through this post and came across your meeting with John Power last year. The first name on your list is Jack Wales, I am sure this will be Jack Wells - my grandfather. Also you mention Hugh Hunter - this is Jack Wells's uncle (they were very similar in age). They lived next door to each other in Redhall Grove, Longstone. Hugh was in No 6 Commando I believe.

Best wishes

Richard

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger