commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
William Thomas Pollard - 3 commandos  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Melanie Reynolds
Forum Member

Hi,
I am the grand daughter of William Thomas Pollard of 3 commandos and am firstly very proud he served so valiantly for our country. Sadly I lost my grand mother last year (my grandad died some years back as well when I was younger) and I am reaching out to find out some more about my grandad and hope someone maybe able to help.

Grandad didn't talk much of his time in the war, I do think he liked to remember some of the things he had witnessed, he occasionally talked to my dad (his son). I would love to find out more about him and his role in the commandos to tell my dad...

Can anyone help and share some experiences they may have had with my grandad or photos?

Thanks in advance,
Melanie Reynolds (was Pollard)
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Melanie, welcome!

I'm sure people will be along to help you and offer suggestions. In the meantime, if you put his name and Unit in the Google box at the top you'll find mention of him.

Hope you and your dad find out lots! x

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Melanie, Were your grandparents from Iver in Buckinghamshire ?

We have a record in Commando Association newsletter 111 (Sept. 2000) obituaries section of the death of Gunner William Thomas Pollard who had served in No 3 Commando. There is no other detail.

In Newsletter 114 (March 2002) there is the following entry:

"Mrs. M. Pollard, of ............. Iver, Bucks, ..... would like to hear from any veterans of No.3 Commando who remember her husband, William Pollard, in the Commando. William Pollard joined the Commando in Normandy but only stayed for about four months before returning to Wrexham."

To get details of his full military service the nearest next of kin should apply for a copy of his service record. How to do so can be found here:

http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/179.page

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/01/2017 10:17:20

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Additionally if you have a photo of your Grandfather from his Army days, or in civvies, please scan and post it as an attachment to this forum thread.

There could be many reasons why he left the Commando, if indeed he did, including injury. Your Grandmother may herself have not been aware of all his Commando service details. The 4 months mentioned above actually tallies with the period No 3 Commando were engaged in Normandy before the whole Commando returned to the UK. However they would return to North West Europe for further action and the push into Germany.

The Service Record will confirm hopefully the dates of your grandfather's service in the Commando. If your Father applies a full copy of the record will be provided. It really is the best way forward for research.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Danny L
Forum Member

Hi,
Gunner W.T. Pollard was wounded on the 16th August 1944.

Regards

Danny

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/01/2017 12:57:36

GUY
Forum Member

5385055 Gnr William Thomass Pollard Royal Artillery (Field)

Your grandfather originally enlisted in the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, before transferring to the Royal Artillery.
He was posted to 3 Troop 3 Commando on the 26th June 1944. He was wounded in action on the 16th August 1944. He may have been posted to HOC Wrexham after recovering from his wounds?

All would be confirmed by obtaining a copy of your grandfather's service records.

Good luck with your research
Guy

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger