commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Looking for information on my Grandfather  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Penrith1
Forum Member
[Avatar]

John Alfred Draper. WW2 Petty Officer Royal Navy. Combined Operations Commando. Served Burma I am fully aware.. 1939 to 1945 .. Lived Dorset UK.
My mum has passed, and only met my Grandfather once in the 1980s here in Australia when he came for a holiday .

This is a video of my son at the Australian War Memorial a few years back now . My Grandfather swapped his Green Beret with a Gurkha he knew. He got a Gurkha Knife . That Gurkha won the VC . My Grandfather had something to do with him. That Kukri is now in the War Memorial in Canberra ,Australia. If you have Facebook you can watch it...
https://www.facebook.com/dom.stevens.90/videos/vb.629189516/10152790644239517/?type=2&theater

[img]
[Thumb - John Alfred Draper.jpg]
 Filename John Alfred Draper.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 253 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  240 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 14/06/2020 00:33:46

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Penrith1,

That's a great photo of your grandfather - thanks for sharing it.
Do you know which RN Commando your grandfather served in? I know 'H' RN Commando were in Burma and were involved in Op Screwdriver on the Arakan working with No.5 (Army) Commando...

Commander A Cobham GC, MBE, RN, took over from Lt Leake as the PBM (Principle Beach Master) and commanded H RN Commando.
In the book, The Beachhead Commandos by A Cecil Hampshire, there is an amusing account of when H RN Commando attended a course at the Jungle Battle School together with a company of Gurkhas...

Are you aware that you can apply to the Ministry of Defence for a scan of your grandfather's original service record? Details of how to do this and a link to the appropriate page on the Gov.UK website can be found here -
http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/179.page

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Penrith1
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Nick Collins .I don't at this point. Once I get enough Pounds lol , as we have dollars lol , and there a hell of a lot less than your Pounds , I will do a search for his records. I want them.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 07/08/2019 06:35:58

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger