commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Leonard Payne CH/X 100442 RM 44 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Payne
Forum Member

I am looking for any info or photos of my great uncle Len who was killed in action on 23.1.45 in Burma, all I have is a photo of his grave.

Any news would be greatly appreciated
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

We have the following entry relating to your great uncle on our site in the 44RM Commando Roll of Honour:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/LeonardPayne44Commando

There is a book called 44RM Commando Achnacarry to the Arakan by Tony Mackenzie which I would recommend to you. Your great uncle is on the ROH at the rear of the book. In addition there is a very good account of the bitter fighting leading up to when he and others died, and following on from there.

Our gallery for 44RM Commando has quite a few photos with many of the men as yet unidentified. If you care to attach a copy of the photo of his grave that you mention, I will add that to our gallery for Taukkyan War Cemetery (click on cemetery name below)

In Memory of CH/X100442 Lance Corporal Leonard William Payne
44RM Commando, Royal Marines,
who died on the 23rd January 1945 aged 24
Remembered with honour at Taukkyan War Cemetery

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 17/01/2017 15:20:10

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Payne
Forum Member

Thank you for your info, I will look for the book you mentioned.

I think I uploaded his grave to your holding album last night but not quite sure - I also have a photo of him which I will try and upload for your gallery

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger