commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
John/Jack Hay 41 Commando 1944  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Markmonument
Forum Member

Hi, I''m trying to find any information relating to my great uncle John Hay also known as Jack hay from Darlington. He was in 41 commando and died I believe during operation infatuate 11 on 1st November 1944 aged 19. If anyone has any information about him or the unit he was in please could you point me in the right direction.

All the best

Mark
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Mark

We have a photo of the headstone in your great uncle's name at Bergen op Zoom Cemetery here Marine John Hay.

He did die as you say on Operation Infatuate with 41RM Commando. There are quite a few books out there about the first Army Commandos and the later RM Commandos. One that depicts the whole history of the RM Commandos from their formation to more recent times, including Operation Infatuate, is called By Sea and Land by Robin Neillands.

A little about Operation Infatuate and a Roll of Honour can be found here: http://www.commandoveterans.org/Walcheren

If you have a photo of Marine Hay please scan and attach it to this forum post, or send it by email to me and I will add it.

You should also ask the immediate next of kin to apply for a copy of his Service Record. More information will be supplied if the immediate next of kin applies. How to do so can be found on this page here: Research Advice

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger