commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
6 Commando Landing Craft that Sunk during Torch  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
cnmj5196
Forum Member
[Avatar]

During the No.6 Commando landings on 08-Nov-1942, it is believed that (4) of its LCPs sunk. Many of the landing craft used by the No.6 Commando were unseaworthy and leaking badly. I am trying to determine to which of the (10) Troops of the 6 Commando these boats belonged. It is rumored that (6) landing craft from the 6 Commando ran off course and headed directly into heavily defended Ilot de la Marine. It is thought that this group included the first flight of landing craft that came to the Awatea from the Sobieski. This first flight would have included the two Sections from No.1 Troop, the two Sections from No.9 Troop, and one Section from No.7 Troop. If there were (6) wayward landing craft in this action, I cannot explain from where the sixth landing craft came.

I am reasonably sure that at least (1) of the No.1 Troop LCPs had sunk (Troop Leader, Capt. MacKenzie drowned). I am also reasonable sure that (1) of the No.9 Troop boats went under. It was the lead boat and had been leaking badly; the men in it were worried it would not make it to shore. It is believed that it sank shortly after it slammed into the docks at Ilot de la Marine. This group of boats also came under heavy fire while heading toward Ilot de la Marine. I know that the other No.9 Troop boat did escape and landed further down the coast. The men of that No.9 Troop boat took part in the Fort Duperre attack. If I am correct that (1) boat No.1 Troop and (1) boat from No.9 Troop sunk, then from which Troops were the other (2) boats? I have also heard second-hand stories of other landing craft sinking but have received no confirmation (one story was from a 7 Troop veteran who was in a leaking boat that was going under; its occupants transferred to other landing craft). There is also an 8 Troop man who is Missing in Action and his body was never recovered (which leads me to believe this man drowned).

I would appreciate any additional information that could shed more light on my question in identifying which of the 6 Commando landing craft sunk during the Torch landings.

Thanks for your help,

Craig Johnson
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hello Craig

Welcome to the CVA website,

Have you seen or read 6 Cdo war diary for the period you are interested in ?

Not sure if this is the the info you are after:

Boat Allotment
Fig 1

Group 8 (BEER RED 4 Beach)

Allotment of boats hoisted on HMT. AWATEA ( 10 LCP )

1st Flight
A1,3,5,7,9 & 10 Starboard side A1 - 6 Tp
A3 - 6 Tp
A5 - 2 TP
A7 - 2 Tp
A9 - 8 Tp - 1 Section

2nd Flight.
A2,4,6 & 8 Port side A2 - 4 Tp
A4 - 4 Tp
A6 - 4 Tp
A8 - 7 Tp - 1 Section
A10 - 8 Tp - 1 Section

There is more info if required

Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
cnmj5196
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Graham,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have read the War Diary for the No.6 Commando and I have the landing craft Troop assignments for the boats and groups: The No.6 Commando would require (23) LCPs and (02) LCAs to transport the No.6 Commando to the Beer Red beaches. The Awatea only had (10) boats available on it. An additional (10) LCPs would sail to the Awatea from the Sobieski, and (03) LCPs and (02) LCAs from the HMS Winchester Castle. I believe the Troop breakout for the No.6 Commando's landing craft is as follows:
Group 8 (Awatea LCPs) = On the left side of Groups 6-8 and planned to transport No.2, No.4 (plus 3-in Mortar Detachment), No.6, No.7 (1 Section), and No.8 Troops to Beer Red 4.
Group 7 (Winchester Castle LCPs) = In the center of Groups 6-8 and planned to transport No.5 Troop (plus additional Troops) to Beer Red 3.
Group 6 (Sobieski LCPs) = On the right side and planned to transport Commando HQ, No.1, No.7 (1 Section), No.9, No.10 Troop to Beer Red 2.
Group 5 (Winchester Castle LCAs) = Planned to transport Troop 3 to Beer Red 1.

I have heard or read that (4) boats from the No.6 Commando were sunk. I know that Group 7 are the landing craft that had gotten off course and were heading directly toward Ilot de la Marine and came under fire. The lead boat (which contained a Section from 9 Troop and the Major Alexander S. Ronald (No.6 Commando, 2nd in Command). After crashing into the dock, Maj. Ronald, his batman (name is unknown), and an American commando were gunned down shortly after climbing out of the boat. Some of the No.9 Troop men jumped into water and one drowned. It is believed that this boat sunk shortly after its arrival. Based upon my reading of wartime documents related to the No.6 Commando during Operation Torch, I believe that at least one boat from No.1 Troop also sank also (its Troop Leader Capt. Mackenzie drowned).

I have yet to find a document which specifically states which landing craft sunk and what Troop was assigned to each.

Thanks,

Craig

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger