commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Roy Nicolle, No.5 Commando  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

One of the great privileges of my voluntary roles of CVA Researcher & Forum Administrator, is that I am in contact with so many wonderful people on a daily basis.
Most are relatives of commandos looking for information but some are the veterans themselves, who have become valued sources of information regarding The Commandos.
One such veteran, whom I am extremely honoured to consider as a friend, is Roy Nicolle, No.5 Commando.

Roy contacted me by email a number of years ago and since then has given me all sorts of facts about The Commandos, 3 Commando Brigade and No.5 Commando in particular. Every question I asked would trigger more memories and, in the end, I suggested that he should entrust his memoirs to paper. He rather liked the idea but insisted that it was me who should compile his memoirs into a booklet.

This I have done and copies of the booklets have been distributed around his delighted family - who, of course, had no idea about what Roy did during the WWII.

Last month Roy informed me that his devoted wife, Joyce, had been away for a week visiting their family leaving him to fend for himself in their Guernsey home. Roy told me, "it was a week of fry-ups, reading at the table and being in sole charge of the remote control..."

I replied that it was about time he sent me a recent photo of himself otherwise I would write to Joyce and tell her of his fry-ups etc.

The only other photo I have of Roy is one he sent me, "to scare your grandchildren with". The original was black & white but I added colour and Joyce has now got a framed copy of the colour version on her piano.

Incidentally, if anyone is wondering why Roy has the Red Hackle of the Black Watch in his beret - Roy was from Guernsey and, as there was no compulsory call-up on the Channel Islands, islanders who volunteered to join the British Army were given a free choice which regiment they wanted to join. Roy, having never stepped foot in Scotland, chose the Royal Highland Regiment (The Black Watch)!

Nick

[Thumb - Roy_Nicolle.best.jpg]
 Filename Roy_Nicolle.best.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 245 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  337 time(s)

[Thumb - Roy & Joyce.jpg]
 Filename Roy & Joyce.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 126 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  309 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/12/2016 14:35:53

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Nick

That is a wonderful story and a very nice photo of Roy.
Your experience is one that has been recited to me many times over the past 10 years since the creation of the web-site.
Many folk and family members have found photo's and documents relating to their father or grandfathers time in the Commandos for the very first time in our archives.

Like yourself many have also made great friends by contact made through the forum.

The intention is to carry forward the history of that generation of unique and brave individuals, the Commandos, so that it is never forgotten. The friendships and and wonderful liaisons it has created is a wonderful bonus and a very rewarding one.

'When shall their glory fade'

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Nick, like the story as I have made a similar project, got six A4 booklets printed whilst in America last month at Staples, all for free but that's another story. Also like the re-colouring, who did the colouring?
Kevin

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Kevin,

Kevin wrote:. Also like the re-colouring, who did the colouring?
Kevin

I added the colour. I had no idea about the colour of Roy's hair and eyes so tried to work it out working on the tones of the original photo! Apparently, I was spot on - even the eyes were just right!

The photo editing software I use is Serif Photo Plus.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/5/Roy_Nicolle_20001.jpg.html

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/12/2016 12:26:57

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger