commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Rising Sun - Kangaw  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Kes Travers
Forum Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and have joined to ask for some help please.

Being an ex submariner I have a passion for military history. Over the years I have acquired some fascinating pieces. Two of which I am working on now. One being a Boulton's Trafalgar Medal inscribed by a crew member of HMS Victory and the other is a Japanese Battle Ensign. The latter is what I would like some help on.

Nick has very kindly been helping me and is about to upload some photos of a stunning piece of history I purchased from a Graeme Davidson in 2010. He is the son of Peter Davidson x Troop 42 RM who served in Burma and more specifically took a flag from hill 170.

On this stunning Japanese Ensign is a further 88 signatures! I have photographed and where possible identified the scribbles. These are now with Nick and soon to be available publicly on your forum.

My plan is to create a crowd funding page to raise funds to conduct a full research study on this flag, the battle from where it was recovered and God willing maybe even find a survivor who put pen to this flag.

Any excess funds from this crowd funding project will be used/distributed to veterans associations. Again, any one more computer savvy than me would be greatly appreciated!!

If anyone recognises any of the names on this flag please get in touch! Photograph's, documents, anecdotes, personal histories, anything will be greatly appreciated.

Any volunteers to buddy up with me on this project? I live in Sussex.

Yours Aye

Kes

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/11/2016 05:09:18

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

hi Kes,

Welcome to the CVA Website & Forums. It was good to chat with you this evening and I look forward to further chats in the future.
The flag is indeed an interesting piece of history - thank you very much for sharing it with us and I hope there are names of commandos from 42 RM Cdo that can be added to the Nominal Roll.

In return, I'm sure we can add to the information I have already sent you.

Yours Aye,

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Kes

Glad to see you are having some success with the flag ID's.

Where did you find the names of the 42 Cdo X Troop? I think I have a photo of them somewhere.

Best regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Kes Travers
Forum Member

Good morning John,

All I have at the moment is the nominal role of 42 Commando. A lot of the names on this flag are not on this existing roll.

A prime example is Sgt Ray (Raymond William) Esther MM. He was known to be in 47 and 42 commando yet is not on the nominal roll.

Which photograph do you have please? I have photographed all the signatures close up and these will be in the gallery soon.

Kind regards

Kes

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/11/2016 05:10:28

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Kes

I was posting from memory. The photo I have is X Troop 47 RM Commando. I have just sorted it out of my archive. Sorry to put up a false hope.

Where did you obtain NR of 42RM ?

This is a very interesting piece to research and I look forward to your results.
Best regards

John M

Primus Inter Pares

Kes Travers
Forum Member

Hello John,

I got the list via Nick and was trying to cross reference. I don't believe the list is comprehensive or complete, especially as I went on the 47 Commando website last night and found even more unknown names.

I think as soon as my photographs are uploaded to your forum gallery I will create and excel spreadsheet which is amendable by all.

Kind regards

Kes
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Kes

Yes that's Ok. I was just wondering as you have to be careful about the integrity of these lists. We here on the site are very careful to check sources and to keep the information we publish as accurate as possible.
It looks like you are taking the correct precautions.

Good luck with your continued research.
Best regards
John M

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/11/2016 11:39:17

Primus Inter Pares

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Sgt Esther MM, 47 and 42RM Commandos, was a member of the original Commando Association.

London Gazettes Supplement 37110, page 2852 :

Marine (Acting Temporary Sergeant) Raymond William Wade ESTHER, R.M., CH/X.114336 awarded the Military Medal for gallantry, determination and great devotion to duty during assault operations on Walcheren and Flushing.

47RM Commando was one of the units that took part in this action http://www.commandoveterans.org/Walcheren

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Here is an overall image of the Japanese Flag owned by Kes bearing a total of 89 signatures (including 3 Japanese signatures!).
It is reasonable to assume that, as there are a number of signatures that have been positively identified as belonging to commandos of 42 RM Cdo - and more specifically, X Troop - that all the signatories belong to 42 RM Cdo.
Kes has photographed each individual signature and has given me permission to upload them to the Website.
I will be uploading the photos to a sub-album in the Gallery in the very near future and provide a link to it from this thread.

Nick
[Thumb - Japanese flag.jpg]
 Filename Japanese flag.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 410 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  316 time(s)

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Kes' photos of the captured Japanese Battle Flag have now been uploaded to the Gallery.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/documents/Flag/

It was originally thought that all the signatures on it belonged to 42 RM Cdo but, on closer inspection, there are also signatures from No.1 Cdo.

3 Commando Brigade was made up of four Commando Units - No.1 Cdo, No.5 Cdo, 42 RM Cdo & 44 RM Cdo.

For most of the Brigade's operations, No.1 Cdo was paired up with 42 RM Cdo and No.5 Cdo was paired up with 44 RM Cdo.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Kes Travers wrote:
especially as I went on the 47 Commando website last night and found even more unknown names...

Hi Kes, although Sgt Esther, MM, is listed as serving in 42 & 47 RM Cdo, I wouldn't bother checking the lists of 47 RM Cdo for names on your flag - 47 RM Cdo didn't serve in the Far East the time of the Battle of Hill 170.

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Kes Travers
Forum Member

Good morning Nick,

This is fantastic work! Thank you!!

Also your discovery of No 1 Commando signatures and the knowledge of the relationship between No1 and 42 Commando units within 3 Brigade is the break we needed on this.

Now there is a much bigger chance of finding the men, their stories and possibly even family members that may have photographs, documents and anecdotes to build a much bigger picture.

Again my thanks and I will now start on the cross referencing.

Kindest regards

Kes

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/11/2016 05:10:43

Julie W
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Wow! What a wonderful thing!

Signature no. 40, JW Green, looks like '??? Forest' to me.

I wish you success in finding out more about the men who have signed the flag.

Best regards,

Julie

Cousin of Capt. Larry Stephens, No. 5 Commando 1943-1946
His biography is available from all good bookshops from April 2020 https://www.waterstones.com/book/its-all-in-the-mind/julie-warren/9781783528622
[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Julie W wrote:

Signature no. 40, JW Green, looks like '??? Forest' to me.

Julie

Yes I agree with 'Forest,' but what is the first word...

Tro.... Tra... ?

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Trawden Forest?

It's in Lancashire.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger