commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
5 Troop No 2 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi I have recently found a notebook kept by my father with some basic information on members of this troop . My father was L/Sgt Joe Rogers MM who was a member of the troop. Also a member was Ken McAllister whose sister my father eventually married. I give thanks to being here for that one :) The book contains the names , ranks, numbers, religions, billet addresses, home addresses, marital status, regiment, age, and former occupation, and weapon issued. If any of this information is needed by anyone I would be happy to share it.

Pete Rogers

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Pete:

Your message concerning your Dad and Uncle certainly gave me a trip ?down memory lane?. Your Dad, L/Sgt. J.G.A. Rogers, M.M. is so very-well remembered as is your Uncle, Sgt. Ken McAllister. I can remember Joe as a L/Cpl. at the time of St. Nazaire and just about everything that happened after that. I do hope that your Dad had a happy life following his distinguished Commando service.

Your Dad?s notebook that you found might be somewhat valuable in terms of No. 2 Commando history. Please do me a favour and refer to the ?History of No. 2 Commando? posted on the C.V.A. website. You will find a list of some 600 names of No. 2 men under the heading of ?They Also Served?. I would like you to check that list against the names shown in your Dad?s notebook and kindly advise me if you come up with any names that I have missed out from the summary I prepared.

Joe?s award of the Military Medal at the battle of Spilje Bay, Albania, also brought back many recollections of that severe, but little-known, operation. I have enclosed a reprint from a military magazine which refers to that operation and my own, very minor, part in that affair.

My wife, Janet, and I will be journeying to Scotland from Canada to mark the remembrance of Joe and our other comrades at the Spean Bridge Memorial in November. We hope you can make it. Have you joined the C.V.A. yet, Pete? You should! Let us know if we can help with sponsorship or anything else.

Stay in touch, and our kindest personal regards to you and your family.

Janet & Bob Bishop
[Thumb - Portugal.jpg]
 Filename Portugal.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description article on Spilje Bay
 Filesize 865 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  486 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Bob I read with great interest the article you included. A quick check against the notebook and those who served does actually show many names that need to be added. As I browsed the book I noticed pencilled in against many of the names a "K" or a "W" which I took to mean killed or wounded, and I suddenly was hit with the enormity of it all and what it must have meant for all those involved. The majority shown are in their mid 20s, the oldest aged 34, and several 20 year old lads are also included. And this was only one of the many troops of each Commando unit. I will indeed provide the details of those missing from the those who served list. Can you advise me of the best forum for this and to whom I should address the details. As regards my father Joe, he spent his post war life in Edinburgh fathering 8 of us. In his spare time - how he had any with all of us I do not know - he eventually became secretary of the Edinburgh branch of the Commando Association until he passed away a few years ago. I actually went with him to attend a St Nazaire reunion in France some years back, and I will make a point of attending the Spean Bridge Memorial in November where I look forward to meeting you in person.
Pete Rogers

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 25/09/2008 17:34:22

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Some photographs I took of the names of 5 troop in thebook my father kept. I have not included some more personal details that are shown. There are 9 pages in all - 3 here, and 3 more on each of the the next 2 messages
 Filename page2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 420 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  536 time(s)

Filename page3.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 438 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  506 time(s)

Filename 1st page.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 474 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  502 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 25/09/2008 14:20:51

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

More of the names from the book
 Filename page4.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 400 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  549 time(s)

Filename page5.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 448 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  516 time(s)

Filename page6.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 476 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  507 time(s)

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

the final set of names from the notebook kept by my father - L/Sgt Joe Rogers MM

Filename page7.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description page 7 of names of 5 troop 2 commando
 Filesize 472 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  493 time(s)

Filename page8.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 444 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  461 time(s)

Filename page9.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 271 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  462 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/09/2008 17:40:16

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Pete -

Thanks for your Dad's 5 Troop list of names. Most useful and interesting. Brought back lots of memories to my ancient head.

As for 5 Troop members who are still with us, Eric Buckmaster is living in Suffolk and Des Rochford is still alive in Devon. Walt Ainslie from Edinburgh was at the 2006 reunion in Ft. William, so I hope he is still answering the bell.

Joe's list recorded Sgt. C. Blattner who was a dear friend of mine. I wrote a special piece concerning Charlie in my 2 Commando History. He was 45 when he was killed on Dragone Hill 13-09-43, the oldest member of the Commando.

Another good friend in 5 Troop got a D.C.M. at the same place - Sgt. W. Rudge from Warrington, known as 'Tan' Rudge to everyone.

Eric Buckmaster's brother, Stanley, also served in 5 Troop, but the name Pte. S. Buckmaster seems to be missing from the list, as is Pte. D. Rochford.

From an historical standpoint, I am certainly glad that Joe made up this listing, it will provide quite a few additional names for the 2 Commando 'Also Served' category.

Janet and I hope you will make it to Ft. William.

Kindest regards,

Bob
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Bob, a reason the 2 names you mention may be missing is that the book appears to relate to a relatively short period of time...perhaps the end of 1942 through to August 1943. I have also found a page where all the guys have signed in pencil for the issue of one blanket dated 23rd July 1943. I find this book fascinating , and , now, an autograph book of many Commandos from 5 troop. I will bring the book along with me in November if you wish so you can have a look at it personally. The pages are fine but the covers wearing somewhat
Pete

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger