commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Letter of thanks.  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

A lovely email I received today - it makes it all so very worthwhile when we receive letters like this.
Thank you Nina.

Nick

Dear Sir;

I just wanted to drop you a line to say thank you.

My paternal Grandad died when I was 6 years old, and my Nan who was heartbroken never like to talk about him as it upset her too much, and then she passed away when I was 9, as a family we only ever had minimal information about him as my Nan threw everything out when he passed as the reminders were too painful. My Dad and Auntie were never told much about their past as they were growing up, but my Nan vaguely told my Mum once that he had been a Commando during the war and my Dad (who is deaf) has a vague memory of a story of my Grandad being shot once.

Quite a few years ago my daughter started the path towards becoming a Marine Engineering Officer in the Royal Navy and so we started to think about our past military ties, my husband served in the army, as did my cousin, also my husbands family have strong naval ties, and so I started thinking about and searching for information about my Grandad.

I have been searching for any information I could for quite a few years now, on various military websites, ancestry.com, I had previously been on the Commandos Website but found nothing apart from dead ends and I did begin to wonder if the information we had been given had been misunderstood.

I started thinking about him again when my daughter commissioned a couple of months ago, and today especially I looked again for information, and found your website, and your nominal rolls and decided to look through them all and there he was, on the roll for No 1 Commando, his name was Robert Stanley Bearne and I didn`t realise just how emotional or proud I would feel to finally see his name and know for sure that that was what he did.

Thank you so much for all the hard work you must have put in to gather all the information together that you have, I personally cannot thank you enough,and my Dad, Auntie, Daughter, Sisters and Cousins thank you too. Myself and my sister had already signed up to run the Commando Series obstacle course tomorrow for charity, we know its not the same but its still going to feel pretty special for us .

So again thank you

Kind Regards

Nina

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

That's great Nick, and well deserved.

Janet
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks Nick. This is all about our Commando family those with Green beret and familiesto keep the names alive in the hearts of these families.

God bless.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger