commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No. 2 Commando - location of bases  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Noel Rabouhans
Forum Member

I have been asked by a French friend for details of the locations of the bases of No. 2 Commando. From information on the CVA website I have established that they were based in:

Penham Down, Tidworth, Wilts June 1940
Knutsford, Cheshire September 1940
Paignton, Devon February 1941

I believe that they were in Largs (Troon?) in mid-1942.

I would appreciate any further information to fill in the gaps.

Many thanks

Noel Rabouhans
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Noel

The original No 2 Para Commando were at Perham Down, not Penham Down. before going to Ringway I believe and becoming 11SAS.

I can help quickly with 19/41 from the War Diary.

A new No 2 was raised at Paignton in Feb 1941 where they remained until April 1941.
5th April onwards at Weymouth.
2nd May onwards at Inveraray.
7th June onwards at Dumfries.
29th Sept onwards at Perth (bit of a fracas with the Polish here so they did not stay long)
9th October onwards at Ayr where they remained for the rest of the year.

In March 1942 those on the St Nazaire Raid were moved to Falmouth. Those that returned from the raid moved back and rejoined No 2 Commando at Ayr.

If no one else responds for the period between then and when they sailed for Gibraltar in 1943, I will check out further details on my return from Fort William.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

23rd Sept onwards to Inveraray.
6th Oct onwards to Blandford.
5th Nov onwards to Boscombe.
22nd Nov back to Ayr.
13th April set sail from Gourock on the HMS Dunnottar Castle (F 34) for Gibraltar. Note, early April is missing in the war diary, this is from the document '2 Commando Overseas' on this site.

Hope this helps

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger