commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Operation Infatuate I, Uncle Beach: FLOOR SCOOP missing  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Uncle Beach miller
Forum Member

Hello,

My name is Harm Willemsen and I am one of the Dutch millers at the windmill ?Oranjemolen? that is situated in Vlissingen (Flushing Netherlands) near the Uncle Beach area.
This weekend the annual memorial took place to remember Operation Infatuate I and to honor all the brave men who lost their lives during the liberation of Walcheren Island.
Nowadays there is a small exhibition about this battle situated in the windmill.

During the operation on november 1th 1944 the windmill was heavily damaged. Since then the historic flour scoop is missing.
This historic flour scoop had the names engraved of all the millers who worked at the Oranjemolen over the years. We love to know if there is someone who can tell us more about what happened to this historic flour scoop.

Kind regards,
H.C.M. Willemsen
[email protected]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/11/2016 09:51:03

Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Harm. I had the pleasure, along with others, of seeing inside the windmill on my visit to Vlissingen in 2014.

We enjoyed it very much and were delighted to meet people who were children at that time.

I hope to return in 2019 for the 75th Anniversary.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Will check with No 4 relatives Harm.

Best wishes.

Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Uncle Beach miller
Forum Member

Thank you Eileen, Bill.

Hope to meet you in Vlissingen in the next years.

Best wishes,

Harm Willemsen

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger