commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
The Commando Prayer  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

A copy of The Commando Prayer can now be found on the contents section of the Obituary Page.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/Obituaries

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Kevin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Recently made cross stitch 'Commando Prayer'
[Thumb - 20161025_195442.jpg]
 Filename 20161025_195442.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 953 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  411 time(s)

''Coemgen Filius Primi Inter Pares"
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Nice piece Kevin...
Regards
John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Fantastic Kevin.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi All,
Within the gallery section ,under Letters, Docs etc,is a photo of the Special Services Prayer booklet.
On the second page is the Act of Dedication,this appears to be the same as the Commando prayer.

In the Modern Commando prayer,the second to last line seem to be an addition "And bearing our part in thine eternal purpose".This line does not appear in the earlier prayer booklet.Checking the Prayer of St.Ignatius of Loyola,this also does not have this line.

I agree not very green beret,but would be interest why the inclusion of the line

Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Graham

Thank you for pointing this out. I took it from this post by Maj Geoff Murray http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/3302.page

I have seen several very slightly different versions and endings of this Prayer for Generosity. One version shows the last line simply as " Save that of knowing that I do Your holy will." I suppose it is how the celebrant reciting the prayer ends after saying the prayer itself. Both versions have exactly the same meaning as far as I can tell.

Whilst all versions seem most appropriate, I have looked at the document you refer to which was handed out to Commandos in WW2, and I think it is only proper that we use this version on our site.

Here is the link to the The Commando Prayer now.

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/10/2016 20:31:02

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger