commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
CAPT. THE DUKE OF WELLINGTON, No2 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Sixty-five years ago on this day, September 16th, 1943, Capt. Wellington fell in the battle of Salerno leading his troop in attack. He had learned well from the hard taskmaster of the doctrine of leading from the front as taught by Lt. Col. 'Mad' Jack Churchill, his commanding officer, and inspired his own troop by his fearless example.

I have often wondered why not a soul has ever asked me a single question, or passed any comment, concerning the service of the Duke. It seems somewhat astonishing to me that a personage of his matchless lineage, who also gave his life, could pass unnoticed into the passage of time. Perhaps the answer to this is that the Duke wore his inheritance to the dukedom very lightly, and was indeed the most unostentatious of men. No photographs exist of him taken before or after a Commando operation, and he absolutely refused to give any comments or interviews to the press. Indeed, the Duke would have been aghast if someone had observed the peerage protocol and referred to him as 'His Grace'! He had a very marked distaste for publicity of any kind, and had only a desire to be accepted as one of the men of No. 2 Commando, which indeed he was.

If the Duke represented all that was best in the English hereditary principle, it was because his example of common humility was always present in his tenure as a Commando troop leader. Not one example is to be found of the Duke having to resort to an act of military discipline concerning any of the men he commanded. His boys would have followed him anywhere, and they did.

Our Duke's ancestor, the 'Iron Duke' was justly accorded the highest honours and accolades for his service. After all, he played Napoleon in two 'away' matches and won 2-0, and later was Prime Minister of the realm. BUT, Capt. Wellington surely was given the highest honour that can be bestowed on any Englishman as he is now resting alongside all his Commando comrades with the equal simplicity and glory of a simple gravestone that declares that he gave his life for England.

In writing this memoriam of the anniversary of the Duke of Wellington's passing on the battlefield, I do so in the hope that the Commando Family will join me in remembrance of this noble comrade.

Bob Bishop
[Thumb - salerno02 duke.jpg]
 Filename salerno02 duke.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Duke of Wellington
 Filesize 107 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  501 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 16/12/2012 22:52:19

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bob,
Thank you very much for sharing your memorium of Captain Wellington with us and for the insight on such a fine man and good and brave soldier.

Personally, I'm not a great fan of hereditary titles; believing that a title, initially bestowed on one's ancestor (for whatever reasons), many years previously does not necessarily make the most recent encumbant a better person...
My fundamental belief is that we are all equal at birth and from then on it depends on the individual (and the guidance of others) as to how he/she turns out.

As I said above, it would appear from your memorium, that Captain Wellington was a great man and a good and brave soldier and, therefore, I would be proud to share your remembrance of Capt, The Duke of Wellington, Nobleman, soldier and Commando

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 15/09/2008 20:45:59

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

In reference to my memorium of the 65th anniversary of the death of Capt. The Duke of Wellington, No. 2 Commando, at the battle of Salerno, the enclosed reproduction of the letter received from the current Duke may be of possible interest.

Bob
[Thumb - Duke of Wellington letter.jpg]
 Filename Duke of Wellington letter.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 484 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  526 time(s)

Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

That is so interesting Bob. The 1st Duke wouldve been so proud of him. Was the assault he died in a success?

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear Stephen:

Thanks for your interest in 'Morny', Capt. the Duke of Wellington. As the 'Iron Duke' was said to remark after the 1815 Battle of Waterloo, 'It was a close-run thing'. It also applied to the Salerno landing which was very dodgy to say the least. Certainly the most costly operation 2 Commando was involved in - St. Nazaire notwithstanding.

The assault that the Duke led was carried out by about 18 survivors of what was a 63-man troop and swept all before him. His boys were too tired and somewhat beat-up not to want to get it over with at first crack.

I was possibly 80 yards or so away on the right flank of the Duke's troop when it happened. It was quite a sight!

You know, Stephen, what is odd is that my great-great-grandfather was a foot-guardsman in Wellington's army at Waterloo, and then I found history repeating itself in my presence under the command of Wellington at Salerno.

Take care, hope to see you in a few weeks.

Jan & Bob
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Here is the the link to his photo and additional details which have been added to the No.2 Commando "In Remembrance" album since this forum post was first written

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/In+Remembrance/wellington.jpg.html

In Memory of Captain 56864 HENRY VALERIAN GEORGE WELLESLEY
6th Duke of Wellington.
Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)and No.2 Commando
who died on 16 September 1943 at Salerno age 31.
Remembered with honour at the SALERNO WAR CEMETERY

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I'm glad Bob shared that with us.

what is odd is that my great-great-grandfather was a foot-guardsman in Wellington's army at Waterloo, and then I found history repeating itself in my presence under the command of Wellington at Salerno.

The quote from Bob made me stop and think. Reminds me of the quote something like

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes." Mark Twain

I sometimes wonder at how fathers of all nations fought in WW1 in "the war to end all wars" only for 20 odd years later their sons were once again fighting, and if you were unlucky you might have suffered in both world wars.

In memory of Capt. HENRY VALERIAN GEORGE WELLESLEY and Bob Bishop.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/12/2012 11:11:30

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My last time with Bob at the Alex i asked him what the Duke was like.His eyes lit up ,What memories he had

SE Donnison
[MSN]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger