commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login
Information on special training centre lochailort  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Author Message
Elizabeth smith
Forum Member

Joined: 18/08/2016 21:53:05
Messages: 8
Offline

My father was stationed at lochailort for a year acccording to his service record. What would he have been doing there for a year from June 1940 until June 1941

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/08/2016 22:06:27

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Joined: 23/09/2008 00:08:02
Messages: 4658
Offline

Hi Elizabeth

Would you give us fuller details please including your father's full name, rank, service number and whether or not the Service record states where he came from service wise before and where he went to after Lochailort.

Thank you in anticipation.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Elizabeth smith
Forum Member

Joined: 18/08/2016 21:53:05
Messages: 8
Offline

Hi Pete thanks for your quick response. My fathers name was Maurice James Robert Webb. Born 10 March 1919. His number was 6289259. Before he went to lochailort he was at Aldershot in the 20 br queens royal regiment. He was a private. When he left Lochailort on 15.7 41 he was posted to reinforcements pool ITC The Buffs Canterbury then joined the 5th Buffs at Canterbury. While at Lochailort he was made a Lance corporal but went relinquished his appointment on 25.5.41 on ceasing to fill a vacancy. Don't know what this means. I know he was training in lochailort at some point as he used to run up the water pipe behind Ben Nevin distillery. My uncle thought he was with the commandos at some point but we have no evidence of that He also thought dad went to a Norway island called Lofoten but again we have no evidence. Any information you can provide would be great. I might find he just drove people around up there !!! 😀
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Joined: 23/09/2008 00:08:02
Messages: 4658
Offline

Hi Elizabeth

Unfortunately I personally have been unable to find anything on your Father. The date of June 1940 is relevant as that was the month and year when the first training began at STC Lochailort after it was requisitioned the previous month. See document below outlining history and photos:

http://her.highland.gov.uk/hbsmrgatewayhighland/DataFiles/LibraryLinkFiles/208088.pdf

The fact he was given a temporary rank up there for almost a year suggests a role other than just being trained, but as to what I have no idea. Does his record shown any skill or trade accreditations ?

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Joined: 05/06/2010 00:34:22
Messages: 86
Location: Dover Kent
Offline

Hello Elizabeth,

According to his regimental roll (East Surrey Rgt), he attested on 15th November 1939 and was transferred to the Pioneer Corps on the 24th December 1941.

Not much to go on, admittedly...

Phil

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/08/2016 01:17:10

[WWW]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Joined: 17/08/2012 13:26:51
Messages: 422
Offline

Another gem of a thread as Dad was there at this time - and Achdalieu before Achnacarry.
Loved seeing those photos.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Elizabeth smith
Forum Member

Joined: 18/08/2016 21:53:05
Messages: 8
Offline

Hi Pete, Phil and Eileen. Thank you all for your responses, it's very much appreciated. I am very new to this forum and not sure if I'm using it correctly. Pete, dads records do not state any particular attributes or skills except he was a driver mechanic when the war ended. Phil, thanks for the extra information, I'm going to Kew in the next few months to look at the records and to try and find more information. Dad went to Europe after d day and I want to try and understand where he went and what he was doing for the next year and a half. I'm still at a loss to understand what he did while at Lochailort and not sure how to find out now !! Any suggestions from any of you where I can look now Eileen what is the significance of the two places you have quoted in Scotland.

Thank you all. Elizabeth

P S thanks Pete for the link and pictures. Brilliant !!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 21/08/2016 20:00:08

Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Joined: 17/08/2012 13:26:51
Messages: 422
Offline

Hello, Elizabeth. Dad enlisted in November '39, leap-frogging from the pit to the Border Regiment ... to 10 Independent Company, later to become part of No.4 Commando ... this was in 1940 although dad's service records don't have exact dates. I think its Swiftly They Struck that mentions dates - may be one by Jimmy Dunning. Achdalieu is where 10 Ind Co trained, also other places ... whilst Achnacarry is so special to all of us. I'm sure you'll come across lots of stories of what went on there. It was so special to dad that I travelled up after he died in '92 and spread his ashes close by.

People on here have War Diaries and other documents that may be of help. WW2Talk (another site) also has lots of information - don't know if you've come across that one yet.

We're all finding out different things all the time - this forum and the people on it have been so helpful. Glad you found us!

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Elizabeth smith
Forum Member

Joined: 18/08/2016 21:53:05
Messages: 8
Offline

Thanks eileen
Elizabeth smith
Forum Member

Joined: 18/08/2016 21:53:05
Messages: 8
Offline

Is there a way I can find a list of soldiers who were on an operation to the Lofoten Islands in March 1941. I'm still trying to find out what my father was doing at STC lochailort in 1940/1941 Trying anything now.
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Joined: 27/12/2010 20:58:21
Messages: 225
Location: Cheshire
Offline

The most likely explanation is that your father was on staff at STC Lochailort. It was only opened in June 1940 as the MI(R) irregular warfare school, and most of the trainees that went there were typically only there for a month, so to be there for a year suggests he was one of the original 203 staff, maybe one of the 55 instructors.

Whilst your father isn't mentioned, if you want to read about what went on there, I'd highly recommend 'Commando Country' by Stuart Allan.

Regards
Paul

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Elizabeth smith
Forum Member

Joined: 18/08/2016 21:53:05
Messages: 8
Offline

Thanks Paul. That's very helpful. I'm hopefully getting the book out of the library. Is there a list of people who worked there available somewhere. He was a groom before joining the army in 1939, I wonder if he was looking after animals at STC ......... Elizabeth.
[Thumb - image.jpeg]
 Filename image.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 322 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  367 time(s)

markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Joined: 01/08/2012 18:17:44
Messages: 349
Offline

I've typed up my reading of the text on the service record.

21/5/1940 Posted to 20 Bn Queen?s Royal Rgt, Aldershot
Posted to Special training centre Lochailort
???? 8/6/1940

8/4/1940 Appointed acting (unpaid) lance corporal ????? 8/4/1940

8/4/1940 Having completed 21 days is granted pay of the appointment acting (paid) Lance corporal ??? 8/4//1940

Forfeits 1 days pay for absence with out leave from 12:00 hours 93/2/1941) to 21:30 3/2/1941 (9 hours 30 mins)

26/5/1941 Relinquished appointment of paid acting Lance corporal ?? to fill a vacancy ???
26/5/1941

8/7/1941 Posted to reinforcements ?? ITE The Buffs ??? 8/7/1941

18/7/1941 Posted 5th Buffs

Some information on Royal East Kent Regiment "The Buffs", with pictures of badges.
http://militarybadgecollection.com/2015/01/21/414-the-buffs-east-kent-west-kent-regiment.htm

As an aside, my grandad George Barnes, according to his service record, transferred from the Royal Marines to the Army and a period in the 9th Buffs on 7th August 1944
His service records also have several fines, and being absent without leave.

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Elizabeth smith
Forum Member

Joined: 18/08/2016 21:53:05
Messages: 8
Offline

Thanks mark for typing this up and sending the link Brilliant
Elizabeth smith
Forum Member

Joined: 18/08/2016 21:53:05
Messages: 8
Offline

Is there a list of names of people who were staff at STC Lochailort. Would it be in the national archives

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger