commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
A mystery: Operation Crupper  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Looking for help! Has anyone here heard of Operation Crupper? I am trying to catalogue the raids in the Pas de Calais region, but this one has me foxed. All I can say is that was a small scale Combined Operations raid to the beaches near Etaples on 26/27th November 1941.

The internet draws pretty much a blank on this, and I have encountered just one brief mention. This lies in Captain Howard Steer's 1980 thesis 'Raiding the Continent: The Origins of British Special Service Forces', available to read online. Information might just possibly be held in DEFE 2/2, the Combined Operations Headquarters War Diary. Otherwise... the truth is out there somewhere.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/08/2016 01:38:40

[WWW]
Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Phil,

Nothing out there from what I can see although did find the following reference: The raid is described as "unrealised" which I'm assuming means it either never happened or the planning wasn't complete? Maybe it means something to the author?

CRUPPER Unrealised plan for a British special forces raid on the area of Etaples on the coast of German-occupied northern France (?).

http://www.cmchant.com/codenames-of-word-war-2

Regards Vic
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thank you Vic. If was an aborted operation it would explain the near total absence of information about it. The week of November sounds a very dodgy time to try a cross channel raid to me as the seas are rough. If I can get hold of DEFE 2/2 I will report back. Thank you.
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

There is reference to an Operation Crupper that I have found but it does not fit in with your timeline nor the operational objective. It was in November 1942 and part of the operations to resupply Malta. http://www.naval-history.net/xAH-MaltaSupply02.htm

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

I don't know if you are aware of this document in our gallery that was produced by Henry Brown, I have had a look through it however I can't see any mention of Operation Crupper.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/documents/raids/

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger