commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Sgt Joe Powell No 4 Commando  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Jools powell
Forum Member

Its with great sadness to announce the death of my father Joe Powell who died on June 30th aged 94. He will be sorely missed by his family although he'd been in ill health for some time.
I'm not totally sure about where he was all the time during the war although I know he was on the attack at Ouistreham to take the Pegasus bridge. Think he was at Flushing too. I'm sure there are people on here who would know better than me about all the actions that no 4 commando took part.
His cremation will take place on July 29th in Hastings at 11 O'clock

[Thumb - 4-commando-casualties.jpg]
 Filename 4-commando-casualties.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Joe Powell is on the left at the front.
 Filesize 146 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1023 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/07/2016 11:13:28

[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I am so very sorry to hear about your dad.

That photograph is a very well known one and I'm sure others can tell you about where your dad may have been. My dad was in No.4 too and was at the places you mention.

Thinking of you.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Jools,

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I can't add much more , but he is listed as a guardsman at Dieppe,so he certainly saw a lot of action with 4 Commando.

Rest in Peace,Duty done.

Regards

Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

My sincere condolences to you Jools and to all the family and friends of your father Joe Powell. One of our members, John Martin, whose father Donald served with your father in No 4 Commando wrote these words in 2012 and sent us a picture which I include here:

"Joe Powell served in C troop 4 Cdo with my late uncle, Sgt Donald Martin. When 4 Cdo was reorganised and the troops were redesignated, at the time of the Walcheren campaign in November 1944, they became separated but both were involved in the capture of Flushing. I took the attached photo of Joe in June 1984 in Benouville, Normandy quite close to Pegasus Bridge. I chatted to him for a long time about his post-war career as a stuntman and special effects arranger in films, and found him as amusing as I found him modest. (He first apologised for his deafness, brought on by causing a great many explosions!) Having run across Pegasus Bridge himself under fire, he found it quite ironic to return there in 1962, when 'The Longest Day' was being made, to work on the film. One of his nicest stories was about the producer, Darryl F Zanuck, ordering an elderly Frenchman in a faded cardigan away from where the filming was taking place. Joe had to point out to him that elderly gentleman was, in fact, the legendary Philippe Kieffer who had led the two French troops integrated into 4 Cdo on D-Day."

Rest in peace Joe.
[Thumb - Joe Powell No 4 Cdo.jpg]
 Filename Joe Powell No 4 Cdo.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Joe Powell No 4 Commando
 Filesize 72 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  597 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/07/2016 10:51:38

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Joe Powell, post war, was a renowned stuntman and stunt arranger with credits on many major films over the years.

There is also an entry in Commando Association Newsletter 25 of September 1957:

One of the mariners aboard Mayflower II which recently completed the voyage across the Atlantic was Sgt. J. A. Powell (4 Cdo).

I have confirmed the details with Jools.

There was a film made of this voyage and it can be viewed on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/EvqVXgdqooI where Joe Powell can be clearly seen relaxing at 5 minutes 33 seconds into it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/07/2016 13:32:21

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Remembering you all at this sad time another of the fighting fourth gone.

God bless.

Bill Harvey

A Tribute to No4 Commando following the Dieppe raid

Oh, gallant men our nations pride
Whose valour cannot be denied
Their name is echoed far and wide
The Fighting Fourth Commando

Their deeds shall live from age to age
They've writ their name on History's page
Upheld their glorious heritage

At dawn they made that fateful raid
Advancing grim and undismayed
They fought undaunted, unafraid

For us they trod the depths of hell
Faced certain death from fire and shell
They did their job they did it well

Some paid the price with battle scars
Some passed beyond all earthly bars
Their names are written in the stars

Oh, Lord above, who art with us yet
When Time the healing hand hath set
Be with us Lord. Lest we forget
The Gallant Fourth Commando

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 24/07/2016 22:20:24

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

RIP Joe.

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

John Martin
Forum Member

I, too, was very sorry to hear of your father's death, Jools.

As you will see from Pete's very thoughtful entry above, I had the pleasure of meeting him in Normandy on the fortieth anniversary of D-Day.

From memory, I think that until then he had not met up with my late uncle - nor Duncan McCubbin and Bill Johnson who also served with him in C Troop 4 Cdo - since the end of the conflict.

I also remember him telling me a very amusing story of how his career as a stuntman started very soon after 4Cdo was disbanded.

Best wishes,

John Martin
Phil Eyden
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jools,

I am really sorry to hear about the loss of Joe. He was a very great man; I am a proud owner of his autobiography - The Life and Times of a Fall Guy - and it makes fascinating reading. There is a great deal of information on his days with 4 Commando in the early chapters, covering recruiting, the Hardelot raid, Dieppe, Ouistreham and Flushing. And then his astounding film career started, almost by chance. It is well worth a read.

I had an hour long chat to Joe last year as I was researching the Hardelot raid at the time, Oliver having kindly provided his number to me, and he was fascinating. We talked about his army career and he told me lots of anecdotes. I read a list of names of officers to him and he recalled amusing incidents about virtually all of them, it was amazing to hear as his recollections were so clear it felt as if they happened yesterday. Joe manned an anti-tank gun on an Assault Landing Craft on the raid I was researching and wrote about how impossible the unwieldy thing was to sight properly as the boat bobbed about. I asked his permission to use quotes and a photo from his book for my own as he simply replied "But of course you can, dear boy." I was delighted, he was such a gentleman.

Unfortunately we never spoke again, much to my regret. I was told he was profoundly hard of hearing and although I rang three or four more times I imagine he simply might not have heard the phone.

I am so sorry to hear this, but count myself so fortunate to have had that one conversation.

Best wishes,

Phil

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/07/2016 03:00:52

[WWW]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The Telegraph's Obituary on Joe Powell, No.4 Commando.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2016/07/27/joe-powell-stuntman--obituary/

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger