commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
3 Commando war memorials in France  XML
Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Shelagh farrell
Forum Member

Hi I am looking for information on where the memorials are in France where 3 Commando saw action. My father Bob Cubitt served with 3 Commando during WWII and I would like to visit the memorials in France. Can anyone help with locations?
John Martin
Forum Member

Good morning, Shelagh.

From memory, there is a memorial to 3 Cdo in the village of Amfreville sited on the grassy square in the middle of the village, close to the church and the Saulnier farm.

(It is some years since I have been there.)

Amfreville is quite close to the ferry terminal in Ouistreham, and even closer to the Pegasus Bridge in Benouville.

Following D-Day, there was some very hard fighting in and around Amfreville involving not only 3 Cdo but also 4 Cdo.

In the neighbouring hamlet of Oger, a small square is named after Lt Colonel Robert Dawson, who was the CO of 4 Cdo at the time.

I hope that this helps.

Best wishes,

John
John Martin
Forum Member

Good morning again, Shelagh.

I am sorry for the piecemeal approach, but I have been doing some scratching around.

In the same area, you will find memorials to 3 Cdo in Petiville and Merville - Franceville.

(The latter contains the site of the Merville Battery, where two troops were detached from 3 Cdo to help retake the battery from German forces.)

Throughout this spell, the CO of 3 Cdo was Lt Col Peter Young.

Close to Amfreville there is a very touching - aren't they all - Commonwealth war cemetery in Ranville where in addition to airborne forces a number of Commando soldiers also lie buried.

Again, I hope that this helps.

Yours,

John
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Shelagh,

No.3 Commando were part of 1 Special Service Brigade (1 Commando Brigade) - you can find some photos of memorials to 1 Cdo Brigade and No.3 Cdo in our Gallery

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/Normandy/

Certainly there are memorials in Amfreville, Douville-en-Auge, Varaville, Merville-Franceville (Merville Battery), & Criqueville en Auge.

there is also a museum at the site of the Merville Battery.

Hope this is of use.

Nick

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 15/06/2016 12:06:27

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Shelagh farrell
Forum Member

Hi, thank you for the replies they have been very helpful. I am hoping to visit the area on my drive back back from Spain in August so I will research the locations you have given me. Pegasus bridge was on the list.
Thanks again.

Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger