commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
44 Commando?  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Units
Copperbottom
Forum Member

Hi Guys,
I am wondering if anyone could help me please.. I am trying to get some information on my Grand father who served during WWII as a Commando.
His name was Garry Owen (I say was as he passed away in 1986).
He finished as a Company SGT Major I believe I think his number was POX 2363 which seems a little short?

I have a letter which is where I gained the information and it thanks him for his outstanding turn out during the victory parade. it also states Company holding unit North Wales.

Any help would be most welcome..

Kind Regards
Nick
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi and welcome aboard Nick,

I don't know how much you know about your G/F's service but I hope you don't mind if I start by filling in a couple of basics which, if you don't know too much already, will give you a foundation to start with...

Your G/F was a Royal Marine Commando.
His depot was Portsmouth (hence the prefix PO on his number).

There are a couple of people on this forum who's relatives served with 44 and who may be able to feed you more info.

Another lead worth trying is the The 44 Commando Association.

44 Commando (3RM) - Mr H J Phillips OBE QPM DL, Wychwood, 3 Hocombe Wood Road, Chandlers Ford, Hants SO53 5PN (02380 252467 or 07831 553210)

In the mean time have a good look around on this forum and I'm sure you'll build up a background knowledge of 44 Cdo, where they served and fought and the type of men they were etc.

Also think about applying for you G/F's service records, which (hopefully) will fill in a lot about training, postings, leave, promotions and even injuries...
Good luck,
Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger