commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Royal Marines Commando Cloth Title WWII opininion  XML
Forum Index » Commando Insignia
Phillip Lockett
Forum Member

Hi all

I'm trying to find any reference on this shoulder title being used.

The title has all the hallmarks of late war era but after reading on here and posting on BBF. I'm wondering if this was made for but never issued? My speculation.

It is a paste-back and the lettering is //////.

Would any one know if paste back were used 46-47 period by some manufacturers?

Cheers in advance.

Phill
[Thumb - 1. Royal Marines Commando(WWII)-1 Reverse (Medium).JPG]
 Filename 1. Royal Marines Commando(WWII)-1 Reverse (Medium).JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 155 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  670 time(s)

[Thumb - 1. Royal Marines Commando(WWII)-1 (Medium).JPG]
 Filename 1. Royal Marines Commando(WWII)-1 (Medium).JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 117 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  666 time(s)

Phill Lockett
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Phill,

I've hung back on this as I have even less knowledge about RM Cdo shoulder titles than I have of Army Cdo titles.
I do have a little on file - but my HDD is still broken...

Hopefully someone will have an answer soon

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Phillip Lockett
Forum Member

Thanks Nic

The feedback that Im getting is a blank from BBF!!

Im assuming (????) , that these were made to wartime specs late war and manufactured, but for what ever reason, it was not issued and RM's used there multi construction cloth insignia "cash tape" style post war and the thicker variation Royal Marines Commando from 1954 to mid 70's.

Very strange indeed.

If I come across anything of interest I will post here.

Phill

Phill Lockett
[Email]
Phillip Lockett
Forum Member

Hi all

Have just come across this pic and website of shoulder title being worn above Special Service Brigade.

Can anyone confirm this is late WWII or post WWII era , based on uniform or any other distinguishing marks.

I will post on BBF for more discussion.

http://195.188.87.10/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/62/a4396962.shtml
[Thumb - RMC .jpg]
 Filename RMC .jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 18 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1544 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/05/2016 09:32:14

Phill Lockett
[Email]
deleted own request
Forum Member

Phillip Lockett wrote:Hi all

Have just come across this pic and website of shoulder title being worn above Special Service Brigade.

Can anyone confirm this is late WWII or post WWII era , based on uniform or any other distinguishing marks.

I will post on BBF for more discussion.

http://195.188.87.10/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/62/a4396962.shtml

Hello,

=> Photo is post WWII. Pattern of the battle-dress is not corresponding with the wartime patterns.

Kind regards,

Nick
Phillip Lockett
Forum Member

Thanks Nick

Yes , also the established time frame for this title is late 1945-47 era.

Phill

Phill Lockett
[Email]
outcast
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I believe that the Cash's ribbons insignia were the type worn in WW2, with the unit (ie. 41, 42, 43 .....etc.) on a small strip which was centrally above a strip with "Royal Marines" embroidered on it and then another with "Commando" underneath that one.
This enabled those Royal Marines that were not commando trained ( ship and shore based personnel) to wear just the "Royal Marines" strip.
When I joined the Royal Marines in 1959, we were still being issued with BD and we wore the Cash's "Royal Marines" title until we had completed commando training, when the felt "Royal Marines Commando" title was sewn on instead.
The commando "dagger" (FS knife) was worn underneath on both sleeves except when parachute wings were worn, and then it was only worn on the left sleeve.
BD continued to be worn until it was replaced by the Lovat uniform in the mid sixties.
As a point of added interest (or perhaps just to bore you even further!), the blue beret with the red patch was worn by those marines that had not qualified as commandos until 1960, when an RMRO ordered that everyone except a recruit (and YO) undergoing basic training should wear the green lid.
This meant that some marines that had not undergone commando training wore the green beret, which quite understandably, was the cause of a lot of resentment at the time. As someone once said: "Not a lot of people know that". :wink:
PS: Another look at the photograph indicates to me that it was taken late fifties/early sixties. not only is the BD of a pattern that was of a later type, but the beret is shaped and not of the fashion typified in WW2 (floppy, pulled over to the right side of the head, with the cap badge almost on top of the head - there's a name for this style but I've forgotten it, like most everything else!). I can still hear my drill instructor's voice: "Cap badge one inch above the left eye!".

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/11/2018 11:04:52

Forum Index » Commando Insignia
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger